8* and You- A Review/Guide to the Elemental Starters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Priya, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Priya

Priya The Witch Moderator

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Classified
    Leader:
    Shion/Zeru/Regil
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Overwatch, Unison League, Valkyrie Connect,
    This is more so of a write up for newer players, as the veterans know what these guys entail. I'm gonna flat out say that I prefer Eze/Atro/Selena, but all of the starters have their uses and honestly? I'd raise them all eventually. Especially given the nature of RS gates, these unit provide static options to fill holes in your squad with, and they are pretty great at that.

There are a couple of things I’d like to address going into this review though.

First off, all of the starter's Leader Skills offer 30% HP and 50% ATK to units of their own element on top of the other effects that they give. While this is certainly nice, IT DOES NOT MANDATE MONO TEAMS. Mono teams, while given advantages between the LS and Resonance, are still relatively rare, though they are relevant for FG’s and Melord Raid.

Resonance is a buff that occurs when two dream evo’s spark 150% of their damage distribution and it lasts for 2 turns. It grants

• 10-50%ATK/DEF/REC depending on how many same element units are in the team
    • 5%-25% Overdrive Fill Rate depending on how many same element units are in the team
    • 1-5% Elemental Mitigation against weak element depending on how many same element units are in the team
    Damage Distribution refers to the percentage of the overall total damage your unit does on normal attack/brave burst/super brave burst/ultimate brave burst per hit. This means that the 150% value is unaffected by any buff, it is simply based on sparking.

Omni Evolutions grant access to a new Skill Point System! When you unlock UBB, you unlocked the Skill Point System, and get 10 SP to start. You can fuse fodder, frogs, and dupes for more SP points up to a cap of 100 SP. After you assign SP to a skill, it is set unless you spend 3 gems to reset SP on your unit.

Okay, still with me? Time for the actual unit discussion.

[​IMG]

Only registered members can view this content, click here to sign up and view it!

General Overview:

Can we just take a second to appreciate his art? This is the first time I’ve actually like Vargas’ artwork, reminds me a lot of Lava. He does have the whole floating in mid air thing going, but I really do love it. So Vargas’ LS provide a decent damage boost, with BC over time, but you’re generally not going to use it outside perhaps Fire FG. He is however, a strong sub unit for mono fire teams with top tier buffs in all 4 areas. His UBB is a highly damaging one for spark/crit resistant content, boosting a lot of units to attack cap. In particular, Gildorf becomes insane after his UBB, likely to hit ATK cap with both hits. He has some interesting SP options to supplement his SBB/UBB. He has the Special Frontier Gate’s Angel Idol effect to team, which would be really nice as insurance in some set ups! However does cost a hefty 100 SP, stopping him from taking any other options. This also has an 80% proc rate attached to it. His other option boost UBB damage even further (YOU HIT ATTACK CAP, AND YOU HIT ATTACK CAP, EVERYONE HITS ATTACK CAP). His SBB options offer a lower tier Spark Buff and a Critical Damage Buff, which does aid in slot efficiency for teams lacking the buffs, though there are other options for said buffs.

Finally he has some self stat buffs and self damage buffs, mostly for a filler role.

Usage:

Sadly, outside of his excellent BB ATK Buff, he not bringing much to most teams. Furthermore, Ensa Taya puts a massive nail in his coffin, boasting a plethora of offensive buffs that threaten Eze, let alone Vargas. In this day and age of buff overloaded units, buff clashes are even less of a concern, however, there’s just generally better units to slot in Vargas’ place is the thing. He’s still a very strong unit don’t get me wrong, however, he definitely gets overshadowed by his batch mates who are generally easier to slot than him in pertinent content.

[​IMG]

Only registered members can view this content, click here to sign up and view it!

The Arena Goddess returns and she’s even more beautiful this time around. You’re rarely if ever going to use her LS, thought if you’re need of 7K Heal over Time to counter DoT’s you can rejoice, because that her between her SBB (w/ SP option) and LS. Throw in some Beiorg Orb’s and Thorn Crowns, and you’ll return to max health at the end of the turn no matter what. Anyways, Selena’s claim to fame is going to continue to be her Arena dominance between her sphere and LS (Ironic, because back in her 5* era, she was repeatedly the worst in said role) She is however solid outside of that. HoT isn’t required in everything, but it’s becoming more and more prevalent. Juno is going to be a strong slot competitor on Global, however, Selena is more widely available, with other “rare” buffs as well. BC fill over turn is pretty rare, alongside heal on hit which translates to 4-5% mitigation, not game breaking, but a pretty nice buff. The BC/HC is fantastic for the people without Reindeer (Like me!) but not highly pertinent depending on other buffs. Her UBB is interesting, offering a substantial hit count nuke for people who needs it, with her standard crazy HoT. The Heal on hit is actually equivalent to 30%-50% mitigation, which may be enough for some nukes, allowing you to shrug it off, but 75% mitigation UBB’s are generally safer. Her SP options involve HoT boosts for stronger DoT counters as well as status cure, which pairs well with status null buffers/leads. Sadly, she can’t slot for status null on herself and status cleanse which would have cemented her Arena prowess even more so, due to countering status threats. Her UBB is ignorable, as is the water elemental weakness buff,

Usage:

Arena over everything else. She is the Arena queen, come to take her spot once more. Outside of such, she’s still usable, but she doesn’t offer “essential” buffs outside of HoT. She’s a 6th slot unit, offering a good amount of things to patch up teams, but she’s isn’t always the best unit for the slot. That being said she’s still great, and I think she’ll see a lot of usage, till Juno gets OE, than everything is up in the air and she might just be Arena only.

[​IMG]

General:

I feel the need to note this because of people’s comment regarding it. The fan is the sign of a general. His lore has him becoming the general of the Atharva Empire. That’s why he has the fan. So yeah.

He’s the most hyped of the starters, and that’s because of the juggernaut of a LS he boasts. Remember how Avani hit the meta? Now imagine her LS without the hitcount buff, but great parameters on spark damage and attack, with HP to boot. This is on a free unit. That's without touching his damage potential, offering top tier spark (via SP) and attack buffs, he’s going to dominate your friend lists from Raids to Frontier Gates in the near future unless Ensa makes him dead on arrival which tbh, I would genuinely burst out laughing over. I don’t really have that much to say about him because he really just speak for himself, providing a solid boost to mono thunders, particularly when Cyrus gets here. He is near mandated to pick up the spark buff to team in his SP options, after which most will choose to boast his own damage potential.

Usage:

Extremely strong choice for Raid/Frontier Gate, I’m really looking forward to testing him against the Nyami/Nyami squads I and other such as @Emanrasu have been working with. Double Eze can easily go all the way to the end of FG 30, typically averaging from the 11-13 million. He now however, faces a good deal of competition wth Ensa's release, making Atro the more attractive option to raise. He's not DOA, however, Ensa's looming OE's is a threat to Eze's usage in the mean time.

[​IMG]

He’s actually great this time around! Arguably the weakest of the 7*, Lance came back to offer a fair medley of buffs. His LS is apparently a godsend in Colloseum, particularly against Rouche who is an Angel Idol killer, and his 8 BC every damage taken aids defensive squads alongside his Crit Resist. We haven’t really had content that mandates crit resistance yet, though you could try working it in against Kira GGC if you’re still having trouble. His SBB is really nice paired with null status LS’, preventing stat downs (the one thing they don’t prevent) and curing just in case you couldn’t keep his SBB up some turn. The Barrier was a nice touch, but Juno appeared on Global, and we’ll see who ends up being the better Barrier user. The DEF buff is extremely solid, and his SP option of Defense conversion makes for a top tier choice alongside such. You can also choose to give him status chance (weak, but usable) and buff his barrier up to be even stronger. He has his other self buff options, which aid his tankiness if you care to use him as a primarily arena unit which are solid choices (Crit/Elemental Weakness Immunity) or increase his personal damage (ATK vs Status), I’d honestly choose the former over the latter if using him Arena. His UBB is a solid mitigation UBB which a substantial ATK boost based off unit’s DEF, definitely a top choice among 75% mitigation UBB’s.

Usage:

His usage is honestly up in the air right now outside Arena. Juno’s Barrier takes that away from him, and there’s a lot of speculation on what her Omni Evolution may bring. In the mean time, he’s a solid unit in Arena and raids, and we’ll see how he fairs in global colosseum, but he’s again, a good and viable choice for a unit. Ensa's DEF->ATK convert with her kit hurts him alot, however, so we'll see as what will occur in the future regarding him

[​IMG]

The Sirius of his batch in terms of buffs. This is literally a damn buff overload tbh, so if you don’t have Sirius you don’t need to feel bad because Atro is here for you. His LS is extremely great for sustain, pairing well with units such as Krantz (for 0 BC cost set ups) and Tilith and Allanon (for their extremely high BC costs). Mono Light looks reallly interesting in the future with Juno/Atro/Allanon and Sirius OE on the horizon doesn’t hurt at all either. His SBB provide tri stat buffs, and a decent fill rate, and the rare OD fill rate buff, and can be buffed further via sp options, converting him into a holy Reud+Paris Combination by picking up BC on hit and buffing his Ares, or taking on burst heals and cures if your squad needs it. Possibly most notably of all, his HoT and BC/Turn effect at the start of the turn allows for set ups where he gets BB first turn in content such as Arena (Not Challenge Arena tho, RIP) and Imp farming, making him a prime choice for both. Sadly, this does take away from his options, but it’s minimal and it’s a choice for you all to make. I’m personally torn, because I LOVE macro and he makes macro imps a faster reality (You could just set it up so he normal attacks turn 1 and then SBB’s after that which is likely what I’ll end up doing but muh slot efficiency)

Usage:

He’s usable everywhere, as a sub or a lead due to the buffs he’s packing. He even shines in Arena with the normal hit->AoE set up, offering crazy potential alongside Kyle or in mono Atro teams. He contests hard with Sirius, though he’s often the better choice. With Sirius OE on the horizon though, Sirius will likely turn around and offer as much of a challenge back. Siriusly, it’s kind of ridiculous that they’ll be competing with each other, and Sirius has a strong chance in his own right given his LS and kit to counter outclass Atro. We’ll see.

[​IMG]

Kylo Ren, stay in your own damn universe. Magress was niche last time around, but he was so niche that he was good thanks to Zevalhua and co. This time around he’s less notable, though still strong. His LS is defensive, offering minor sustain based on damage done, but there are better defensive LS’ out there. He does boast the possibly fastest Metal runs due to his ES though, paired with another DEF ignore sphere, he can solo normal attack his way through Metal Runs for faster runs than Luce/Lugina. His Kit this time around is dissapointing without SBB, offering mostly damage, and requring you get him to atleast 60 SP to have him “usable” in most squads. He does boast access to 2 turn mitigation on SBB this time around, which is in fact notable with the recent content punishing you for more than x> of BB/SBB usage and BC drain content. However, this is still fairly rare, with Grahwen/Tilith EX/Shisui/Mora being the only ones I can think of. This also offer interesting usage with his guard mitigation however, allowing him to SBB one turn, and guard alongside other units for close to UBB level mitigation on nukes. This hasn’t been needed yet AFAIK, but it’s again something to look out for. His UBB has his claim to fame 100% mitigation which has since been co opted by others, but still is a nice touch. The Guard mitigation was just unneccesary on UBB though. His SP options are highly limited given his mitigation requirement, which is disheartening. He really should have had mitigation on SBB before SP options tbh.

Usage:

He’s good for Grawen/Tilith EX and some of RC 6 (Really mainly Mora) and everywhere else he’s just decent. I have to say, I’m not a fan of him though his niche may make the unit great in the future depending on JP’s direction. He’s usable in a pinch, but if you have other mitigators such as Juno, Mikael etc, I wouldn’t him outside of the listed content.

I might update this in the future i.e. tomorrow, had a fair bit of wine with my sister in law so we'll see.

2. kainoa25

kainoa25 Thanatos

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    I wonder if everyone is still riding the ban wagon for Vargas's Angel Idol SP option? It's a terrible choice for him tbh. I think the best option is turning vargas into a nuker. Possibly giving him the crit damage buff since there aren't too many units who offer only critical damage buff without critical chance buff. His Spark buff is mediocre as well and not worth it imo. You could make him into your one stop shop for attack buffs though so maybe? Still not worth it though.

Selena I'm so bent on still and might raise 2. One dedicated for arena build and the other for questing but still unsure.

Lance is pretty easy. Earth barrier increase and the conversion buff seeing how it's a pretty good attack buff conversion.

Eze is also pretty easy. Increase his spark to 120% because fuck yeah! then follow up with all the selfish buffs he can take.

Atro not even going to discuss because fuck man theres like 100 different combinations for him and I'm upset that I can figure out which one I want first.

Magress is pretty meh and I guess mitigation for 2 turns and the increase chance to recover HP when attacked.

3. Brockman

Brockman Stareater

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Zeruiah Zelnite Holia
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Brave Frontier, Trove, Warframe
    Yo first off Ezes fan is not a sign of a general or anything it is a damn magical fan of badassary and it will stay that way whether you like it or not.

All jokes aside I really like this review tho. I enjoy the lack of number ratings and I really enjoy the easy to understand word usage. Great job sir.

Also I'm gonna be bad shit pissed if Gumi made Ensa kick Ezes ass. I'll summon for her just to fuse her into Eze. Fuck Ensa

#EzeMasterRace

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  4. Shiratori

Shiratori Thanatos

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    I am looking forward to Atro and Vargas mostly coz of their art :D

Snow. likes this.
  5. Sabo

Sabo Thanatos

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Shion/Zeis/Ceulfan/Ravea
    Level:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Iirc the "turn buffs at end of turn to beginning" SPoption on Atro does not work in Arena.

6. parKb5

parKb5 Original God

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Infinity Starsage Zeruiah
    Level:
    450+
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Puzzle & Dragons, Miitomo, PokemonGO
    Nice guide, I love it! Now we just need an SP guide on what are the best skills to purchase for each unit.

7. mturf

mturf Athena

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Ark (crit/ele), zeru, ???/avant. Thunder/axe.
    Level:
    700 +vat
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Air guitar.
    Great little read.
    It would be nice to see what order people will be evolving them, and which sp they'll be choosing.
    It would likely be further help to anyone New/returner/clueless/indecisive/broke.

I'm not a Vargas fan, but he does look awesome this time.
    As I have no avant I believe his ubb will be one of the best I have, and should work well with Nyancat, so I'll be choosing the large sp dump.
    My Vargas isn't yet imped, and isn't my priority.

Selena gets a lot of love, well deserved imo. I still have that tiny twang of attachment to her since she's actually my squirtle.
    Hots are hot, but the sexy buff I like is that heal when hit, it's pretty much a little chunk of free mitigation.
    She's a star for arena, and even tho I know little about it I think I'll enjoy colaseum, so she's a no brainer.
    I have a more than healthy roster of water units too, so mono might be worthwhile for something.
    Fully imped. I've yet to find a suitable candidate for the immunity elgif, so she might get that to save sp. Making her a cleanser gives her a very legit spot in any squad.
    Probably 2 or 3 priority.

Eze breazy beautiful cov...er...... yea big man is a no brainer. Interested to compare with Avani spark but I adore her +hit. Really interested if the new globalsclucives will compete with his friend list fill buff (upgrade of avants obvs).
    Only starter I've pushed for omni, going from one sphere no imps to cap. Undecided on kind of elgif to use.
    Don't know if I'll spec him friendly or selfish. If I only use as sub I'll go selfish I think.
    Joint #1 priority.

Lancedon is actually pretty damn sweet, esp if ur a newbie, but other units do beat him if u have them.
    Cleanse, shield, an lots of bc is fantastic....unless that bubble clashes with another u want to use.
    The debuff master can seriously bring the pain where u need them and in arenaseum to boot... But dropping all the sp into dedicated debuffs looses a lot of his utility.
    But for a noob, he's cleanse + bubble + self immunity + more for free.
    For me with the light globalsclucive fairy, and making my selena a cleanser, he's not a priority.
    If I don't "need" him for anything I'll spec him for pain and give him a pet Ophelia or two.

Atro. My fave. I'm... I'm just not gonna go into it because it's so obvious he's awesome. It helps I don't have Sirius and use him as friend for FG.
    I don't think I'll spec him heals, we have plenty units for that job already, esp light ones.
    Mono is gonna be boss no doubts.
    Great improvement in art too, good job gumsalim.
    Joint #1 for me.

Maggy... oh maggy.... he just looks incredible. Whoever's idea it was to break that armor open like a guyvereque symbiotic shell deserves a raise. It just... It totally changes him, whilst staying exactly the same, tis brilliant.
    As fo his kit he gets props for being an easy to roll f2p mitigator, anyone with an alt account should probably grab him while his dungeons up just for that reason.
    An boom, Mr unique, Once again he has basically given us a new type of ammo if we want it. 2 turns mitigation. It's not essential but not evolving him just to have access to that might be foolish. I wonder if gums are gonna give it to any globalsclucives..... ha!
    Worth considering is the potential rebirth of mifune mifune mifune.
    Dark mono could become a considerable force. Let's see what the dark fairy brings.
    Slight priority, 4th perhaps?

So for me; atro/eze>selena>>mags/varg>lance

Free free free free free free free free free free free free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

labtop and Brockman like this.
  8. Brockman

Brockman Stareater

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Zeruiah Zelnite Holia
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Brave Frontier, Trove, Warframe
    Someone did in fact create a thread for people to tell the order of which they will be evolving. So yea!

I agree with Magress thing. That person who decided to break the armor is the real Mvp.

EarthBraveAxel and mturf like this.
  9. luffie

luffie Savior

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Rahgan
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 5
    Thanks @Priya for the detailed write up, really heled me to catch up with all those new Omni features.

Since not everyone will have DE, I hope they will stay relevant for a long time to come. Because new RS units with DE will definitely outshine them for commercial purposes. But the lack of DE units available means they might be able to stay relevant and strong.

The best thing about them all? The art. Everyone just looks awesome enough without going all over the screen. Now lets hope for a fantastic animation :)

10. SoraShoes

SoraShoes Deva

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Rain, Zeru, Regil
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    BF v1, FFXV
  11. luffie

luffie Savior

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Rahgan
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 5
  12. Yilun

Yilun Thanatos

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    All Meta Units
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    I agree that Eze, Atro and Selena are my top 3 priorities as well. Here is how I'm going to customize them. I know there's "options" but honestly, there is a clear and obvious "best route" for each unit.

Eze - use him the way he was intended -> massive loadup on spark/crit damage and just when you think he can't go any higher, do MORE spark damage.
    10 SP 50% Spark Buff
    10 SP 70% Spark Buff
    10 SP 100% Spark Buff
    10 SP 30% Crit DMG Buff
    10 SP 50% Crit DMG Buff
    50 SP 30% Spark BB/SBB Buff

Selena - too lazy to raise 2, so I'll customize her for general-purpose and use her for arena anyways
    60 SP Status Cleanse
    40 SP Stronger HoT

Atro - this customization by far is the best combo, imo, making him a BB management superhero. I mean, you're talking about 150% tri-stat buff, 50% BB fill rate (100% including LS), 20% Overdrive Fill, 4-7 BC on hit like whaaaaaaaaaa.... Atro basically is guaranteed lock to appear in every squad composition from here on out for all content.
    50 SP BB on Hit 3-5 BC/hit
    10 SP Upgrade to 4-7 BC/hit
    40 SP Upgrade BB Fill Rate 50%

13. mturf

mturf Athena

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Level:
    700 +vat
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Air guitar.
    Hehe yea I saw that bout an hour later, I was totes still asleep back when I first read :D

Brockman likes this.
  14. mturf

mturf Athena

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Level:
    700 +vat
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Air guitar.
    Snap, pretty much same choices.
    I kinda agree there are builds that are clearly superior, but just having the little sway to make them capable of doing slightly different roles is wonderful imo.
    If nothing else it means somewhere down the line we won't see over specialized units like kagura that are so up in their niche they get lost, they can just put the niche specialisation into sp options that no one picks :rofl:

Have u decided on ur elgifs yet?

calvin74 likes this.
  15. Heaven's Bow Loch

Heaven's Bow Loch Knight

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Sirius Black
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 5
    Currently Playing:
    SSB4
    speaking of art, I see luke skywalker in atro and kylo ren in magress

Priya likes this.
  16. Yilun

Yilun Thanatos

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    All Meta Units
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    I currently have the 20% all stats and boost spark damage elgif on Eze. Not sure about the rest yet. Atro will probably get the 20% all stats one I bought from the AP store. Those 2 are definitely going to be the go-to units for the foreseeable future.

17. NexCore

NexCore Commander

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Gazia-sama
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 5
    Currently Playing:
    Brave Frontier, Devil Maker, Ayakashi Ghost Guild
    Nice review as alway c:
    My priors are Eze>Atro>Lance>Magress>Vargas>Selena

Sent from here to there

mturf likes this.
  18. mturf

mturf Athena

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Level:
    700 +vat
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Air guitar.
    Yea, I might use that for eze depending on how well he plays with Nyancat who currently has it. I'll probably sacred one and gif the other.
    The all stats ones a good call, mine's on mikael.
    I think for atro I'll either be taking the stats one from miki or the def/hp/od one from Allan.
    Honestly I really hope they put some more in the store, my luck on drops has been dire.

Kupe likes this.
  19. Kyrian

Kyrian Twilight

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Ensa-Taya/Ark/Azurai
    Level:
    560+
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    BF, FFBE
    So far my priorities are Eze = Atro > Selena = Magress > Lance > Vargas. Looking forward to seeing Eze and Atro in my squads! (y) (Hopefully they can help me with Grahwen trial and the remaining GQ's/GGCs I have left to do.)

Wonderful overview of each starter! I really like that you managed to summarize their kits and tell us which ones are worth using. Is there any way you can write a guide for SP builds for each starter @Priya? I think a lot of us would want to know how to best allocate our points. It's true that we have the option to reset them via gems, but I really don't want to resort to that if I don't have to.

20. Frank_man

Frank_man Darkwalker

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Ensa-Taya, Nyami
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    I think your build for SPs depends on too many things for anybody to write a guide (each unit would be a wall o' text). It depends on what content you play the most, and what other units you have at your disposal.

mturf likes this.