Brave Spring Festival 2017 (Summary of Events)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Beyond Z, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Beyond Z

Beyond Z Thanatos

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Stya
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Well yes, the term "greedy" really would depend on how the company's own finances are doing atm. If its needed, understandable. If its implemented so the higher ups would simply get more money, also understandable, but then we can throw in the argument of "kinda being a jerk towards the player-base". And yes, this can only be argued if the mechanic does in the end have an unfavourable impact towards the majority of the playerbase and would receive a lot of negative feedback.

I kinda like listening to the arguments of "shady game developers". Are such tactics really needed? Or is it just creed? Are the lower employees themselves seeing the profits? Yada Yada. Especially after reading a few articles about CD Project Red in the lines of : "The Witcher 3 achieved the impossible: It's a hit without being a jerk to its fans" (Altho I believe that even they can be "corrupted" eventually, as can all mortals be imo)

I'd be surprised if this mechanic turns out to be a great addition for a mobile game that has imo survived for quite some time now. But seeing anything related to premium currency RS gates and RNG, I cant help to use words like greedy, shady, slimy etc.o_O Especially since I remember reading from some old threads how some companies and games have caused the downfall of their decent games, due to increasing exploit of the gacha system.:eek: And I don't want BF to end on a too sour note.

2. Sustainer

Sustainer The Engineer Moderator

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Azurai + whatever(TheywillkillmeifItakehimdown)
    Level:
    430+
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Dying Light, D3:UEE, Fallout 4
    Gumi is a publicly traded company - their prime responsibility is to their shareholders.

They exceed their revenue/profit projections, shareholders get bigger dividends and more people proceed to buy shares due to it being a strong return on investment. Shares trade higher, shareholders portfolios look better and the company does better as a whole - what they do with the cash/increased revenue is up to them - executive raises/whatever all seem fair game. Lower employees probably have a scheduled raise system, and it gives them an opportunity to expand their business/hire more people.

I still have given up anything involving fair/for the fans/whatever. Cold hard cash is king in any industry, acquiring more of it is always better and NO one in their right mind takes less money, it is a utopian/naive point of view that doesn't align with multibillion dollar corporations. These guys are making hundreds in revenue every quarter - stack the #s higher, entice more shareholders, post larger profits, win/win/win for the corporation.

Even in my own company - I exist to maximize the amount of money my time is worth, I don't work for free nor do I willingly work for less. There are a bajillion other slimy people out there that will undercut me on jobs/do things that are not particularly savory (still within the realm of ethical standards) - but not nice.

Beyond Z likes this.
  3. Beyond Z

Beyond Z Thanatos

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Stya
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    What I was thinking was that, if Gumi tries to keep players a lil bit more happy and have a more positive rep, the game can go on stable for a while, maybe less profits but a longer run with said profits. Or go extreme milking mode and try tu suck up as much as possible asap and move on. I guess the latter is preferred because no matter how good the game, people get bored and leave eventually. Kinda similar how my parent renovate the kitchen every now and then with new wallpaper, not because its degenerating horridly, but because my mom has simply gotten bored with the look over the years (she also pushes on replacing perfectly retained furniture, if finances allow, for the same reasons).

While Gumi only needs p2p to survive, I don't believe p2w players like sticking around in a game with a small player-base, where the more casual ones have left cause reasons.

So yes, getting more money is important, but long term, how profitable is it to get said money by damaging your rep a lil or losing loyal customers? How easy will it be to move on from there? Can Gumi produce another hit game like BF after getting the rep of BF fallen into "that kind of gacha" game? Isn't there a risk of shares dropping? Well, I guess everything has a risk always.

Well that would only be the scenario if the whole OE plus system is is really shady-slimy gacha abusey ( I do like discussing believable worst case scenarios, so thx for helping me pass the time informatively.(y)). It could just as well be as harmless as BB levelling, a dupe speeds up the process but doesn't make it p2w.:rofl:

4. Sustainer

Sustainer The Engineer Moderator

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Azurai + whatever(TheywillkillmeifItakehimdown)
    Level:
    430+
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Dying Light, D3:UEE, Fallout 4
    They would have a payroll dedicated to an apartment that can forecast this stuff and deal with this stuff in a level that I can't begin to comprehend. Too many moving parts, too many market factors, too many elements I truly don't understand in the enterprise level mobile gaming market.

They work out F2P/P2P content balance - keeping people interested in playing, and making cash. This falls well outside any area I can wrap my head around, but people need to get their head around the idea this game is not run by 3 guys in their moms basement, but more resembles Microsoft/etc in their general setup. A large # of teams, accounting, development, marketing, social media, etc...

You can see their long term strategy for monetization, they keep ramping up more and more into their ticket bundles. When is the last time anyone bought gems? When is the last time people bought those awesome ticket packs? Sales/bundles/etc are a death spiral - once you start offering them, you need to keep making them better and better. As a counter point to that (unsure if it is still the case) they eroded the rates to align with the increase in summon tickets - at least from when I was still actively monitoring that.

Players keep getting more and more for free - UoC/etc.. - it's been what, 4-5 months since last UoC rather than on single year anniversaries? As long as the infrastructure/overhead costs don't kill them, I can see them carrying on BF for a long assed time, truly I've never said anything regarding the death of the game (outside my death spiral comment above) and I don't see the game going anywhere in the near future. Once it loses profitability/loses them money, the game will die.

5. Beyond Z

Beyond Z Thanatos

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Stya
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017