Need help building squad!

Discussion in 'Units & Squads' started by ily2bb, Sep 4, 2017.

1. ily2bb

ily2bb Archfiend

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Mordlim
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    I started the game this summer, and have really liked it since. I now have a lot of new summoned monsters or whatever, and I'm hoping someone can help make a squad for quests, and the incoming water vortex arena!
    All of the ones I didn't capitalize are regular 7 stars with no levels.

Fire:
    2 Omni Blazes
    kulyuk
    rengaku
    shura
    lyonesse
    barbara
    rugahr
    agnia

Water:
    Omni Selena
    Omni Sae
    melord
    camilla
    asto
    holia
    zalts
    hugh
    azalea
    amu yunos
    divine wolf

Earth:
    Omni Mordlim
    lance
    zelnite
    hisui
    rozalia
    gyras
    lanza
    freed
    mariletta
    daros
    philene

Thunder
    Omni Eleanor
    Omni Cleria
    eze
    silas
    fizz
    licht
    ewan
    khepratum

Light
    Omni Krantz
    Omni Lauda
    atro
    ark
    izuna
    garrel
    linasera
    agress
    janice

Dark
    Omni Zekuu
    mifune (not high star)
    sonia
    velma
    johan

What do you guys think about these heroes? What squad could I build with them, and what heroes am I needing but missing? Thanks for any feedback!

2. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Regil, Shion
    MAIN SQUAD/GENERAL PURPOSE/QUEST/RAID
    :water:Hugh (or Licht, Lead) + :earth:Mordlim, :water:Melord, :water:Holia (or Linasera), :earth:Zelnite
    OR :water:Hugh (or Licht/Sonia/ Lead) + :earth:Hisui, :thunder:Cleria, :water:Holia (or Linasera), :earth:Zelnite (or other unit, depending)
    OR :light:Lauda, :light:Izuna (Either Lead) + :earth:Mordlim, :water:Holia (or Linasera), :earth:Zelnite
    - note: Izuna because she's a spark dmg buffer who can serve as ailment removal with SP. If other spark dmg buffer like Sonia etc is used then need Linasera in Holia slot, which means no Holia, which means no Holia UBB - see below as to why Holia UBB is important
    OR :water:Hugh (or Licht, Lead) + :earth:Phileine, :water:Melord (or Atro), :earth:Mordlim (or Khepratum/Johan/other mitigator), :dark:Velma (or Zelnite, other unit)
    ...and other combinations, you have a bunch of viable units

- SP Mordlim/Hisui for two turn dmg reduction. SP Melord for atk buff (and optionally def buff) and status ailment removal, SP Sonia for spark dmg buff value and atk buff.

QUEST/FARMING/LEVELLING

- same as above, just use Zelnite as squad lead for account XP lead skill

TRIAL/GGC (and other hard boss fights)
    - same as above, except use Mordlim, Phileine, Hisui, Cleria as squad lead (Cleria/Phileine preferred but others work also)
    - friend lead should ideally be Regil, Lukroar, Azurai, Jack-O', possibly things like Rozalia, Eleanor, Zekt, Feng, Long vs specific elements
    - if friend is Regil/Lukroar or anything with spark dmg buff, can take Hugh/Licht out of squad and bring Lauda or some
    - it is highly recommended to use a build variant including Holia or Janice in squad to use their UBB (80% chance units don't die when killed, buff lasts until triggered).
    - Mordlim may need to be in squad to use her BB for ailment inflict vs certain bosses (e.g. need to poison, weaken, curse, etc on boss), if no Mordlim can use another unit like Velma. Ailments will NOT be needed in most cases but in some cases you do need 'em

WATER VORTEX
    :water:Sae (Lead) + :water:Selena, :water:Asto, :water:Camilla, (and one more water unit)

- build assumes Selena has Lexida sphere and ES unlock and Asto has SP for KO resistance. If they don't have these, then, eh

3. ily2bb

ily2bb Archfiend

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Mordlim
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Thanks so much!

Sorry to bother you 1 more time, but do you know a good build for arena? I heard Lanza lead was good? Tell me any suggestions when it comes to arena, I also might be getting a shoin for the unit of choice, or should I get someone else? thanks so much again!
    BTW: pulled stein and mariela, any good?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  4. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Regil, Shion
    Lanza lead is for colosseum defense only - not for regular arena, not for colosseum attack (colo gives you an attacking squad and a defending squad, remember).

Regular arena, colo atk (mixed element): Zekuu, Asto (Either Lead) + Lanza, Sae, Holia (or Izuna/Janice/etc)

- squad members can vary, mostly it's just using units who can take chance of KO resistance in SP options or have it innate
    Colo def (mixed element): Janice, Lanza (Either Lead) + Asto, Sae, Holia (or Izuna/etc)

Water arena squad: Sae (Lead) + Selena, Asto, Holia, Camilla (or whatever)

- same as in my previous post, but I forgot to mention you can/should use Holia in there (I derped a bit, sorry)
    - up to you whether you wanna go pure water all the time even when this water vortex event isn't up, this works about as well as the mixed ele squads up there.

Shion is an upgrade to Zelnite as XP lead and would be good for your main build as well, so yeah, that's a good pick. Another possibility is getting Gabriela or something since right now your chief sources of 80% KO resist UBB for a hard content squad are Holia and Janice, neither of which synergise well with Cleria/Linasera/Philiene unfortunately (which you'd probably also want in a hard content build). Those are the two I would consider. Regil is also possible I suppose, for LS, but you shouldn't really need that necessarily (just use a Regil/Lukroar friend).

They're alright, but low priority for you. Stein is an Omni mitigator, any Omni mitigator is by definition good, but you have several mitigator options already. Mariela is a poor-man's Cleria/Phileine, which means she is good because Cleria/Phileine are fucking fantastic, but you have the actual Cleria/Phileine, so...

5. ily2bb

ily2bb Archfiend

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Mordlim
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    So if I were to have a shion, I wouldn't need a zelnite? And if shion is just for quests and grinding, is he as necessary as someone like gabriela?

6. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Regil, Shion
    If you have Shion, then yes, there is no need to raise Zelnite. Shion is straight up superior for XP levelling, which is the main reason people raise Zelnite. Zelnite does do item/zel/karma drop increase while Shion does not, but people don't care about that stuff so much (it doesn't make as big a difference). However, a Zelnite is still a Zelnite, having the third-best unit for a role is not a huge issue when there are only three total units that do the role.

Shion is not just for quests/grinding, his kit is also fairly valuable for hard content. Notably he has a very well-liked UBB - does 50% dmg reduction for three turns, but also notably refunds OD gauge to 50% making it easier to chain a second UBB after that, then a third, etc. It is possible to spam Shion's UBB in the right setup. However I would rank this as less important than the 80% KO resist UBB available from Gabriela/Holia/Janice. Though...please note that you already have access to the 80% KO resist UBB - you have it on Holia or Janice, you don't need to pick Gabriela to gain access to it.

In this respect, Shion as a UoC pick does give you something you do not currently have. Picking Gabriela as a UoC pick merely gives you a 'better' alternative for stuff you already own...just better in terms of Gabriela being a cleaner fit with less overlap into your likely squad builds. But Holia would already get the job done for you.

7. ily2bb

ily2bb Archfiend

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Mordlim
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Okay, so I will probably just pick shion for my UoC, and I can just replace all of the places where I use zelnite with the shion? I probably will raise zelnite after I have holia and the others done

Do you think that sounds good?

8. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Regil, Shion
    I'd suggest going: :dark:Shion, :earth:Mordlim, :thunder:Cleria, :water:Holia, (choice of last unit - Izuna/Hugh/Licht/Sonia/Agnia/Barbara/Shura)

Probably Agnia for the last slot but any of those would work. Some of those (like Sonia) will need SP to increase their spark dmg buff to usable levels. This doubles up a little on healers (both Cleria and Holia heal), but Cleria doesn't do some null stuff that Holia does. Plus you want Holia for her UBB specifically, which Cleria doesn't do.

You will need to cast Cleria BB occasionally for BB fill when squad is damaged (don't just spam her SBB), as squad no longer has a second unit (Zelnite) able to provide that on SBB.

Shion lead for farming, Mordlim/Cleria lead for boss fights, then whoever is in the last slot for lead in stuff like raid or whatever.

9. ily2bb

ily2bb Archfiend

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Mordlim
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    So when I have a shion in my squad, will that change the dynamic? Before you said I should have a hisui and others, but now it seems they aren't as necessary. I don't really understand, could you please explain? Thanks!

Or is this for a specific squad, for a specific thing, like arena or something, and the other things are still the same?

10. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Regil, Shion
    Look at what the units do on BB and/or SBB. Shion does atk stat buff, def stat buff, rec stat buff, adds elements, fills OD gauge. Hisui does def buff, rec buff, a further def buff relative to rec, 50% dmg reduction, and status ailment removal. Plus some other things, but that's what we're focusing on.

Since Shion already does atk buff, def buff and rec buff, it doesn't make sense to pair him with Hisui. Hisui is mainly useful in situations where you can't find another squad space to fit in a separate second unit to do base stat buffs. Shion is already a superior base stat buffer to Hisui. It makes more sense to pair Shion with another unit that does 50% dmg reduction and, say, def relative to atk (which is functionally equal to Hisui's def relative to rec), but doesn't overlap as much with Shion. Hence Mordlim.

The other factor is that Hisui is squishy by modern standards - he doesn't have an SP option to boost his own HP. Hisui is considered fine to use if you need to - he's still very slot-efficient, very space-efficient in a squad...but if you can get away with not using Hisui...and you can get away with not using Hisui - then it's better to go for units with higher HP.

Mordlim does overlap with Shion for base def buff, but this is minor (and on her BB anyway, not SBB). Additionally Mordlim also has ailment inflict (on her BB), which is...probably not going to be used that much, frankly, but in situations where you do need it, you really really really need it, and having Mordlim means you don't need to swap around squad just to bring an ailment inflict unit as it's already included by default in the build.

Finally, Hisui's lead skill is pretty good for boss fights, but this isn't a factor for you because...well, so is Cleria's, and so is Mordlim's.
    In this thread, you asked for: " a squad for quests, and the incoming water vortex arena", and that's exactly what I responded with. This is a general purpose squad build which is suitable for regular quests, trial/GGC and hard bosses, raids, and the majority of content in the game. It used to be that builds for different game modes would vary more greatly, but these days if a player has strong enough units...which you do... it's possible to make one Swiss Army Knife build for most shit.

The areas of the game that still demand completely 100% different builds are more things like Frontier Hunter monthly event (an FH build can also be used as a 'crit' setup whenever that's called for, e.g. certain older boss clear) and arena/colosseum, but you didn't ask for that. Occasionally I am very literal in my answers.

For Frontier Hunter you'd want something like, mmn...perhaps :fire:Rugahr (Lead) + :dark:Shion, :thunder:Licht, :fire:Blaze, :fire:Blaze

For Arena/Colosseum (outside the water event), for regular arena and colosseum attack, :dark:Zekuu (or Asto, Lead) + :fire:Blaze, :fire:Blaze, :water:Sae, (choice of last unit - Selena/Janice/Holia, or Zekuu/Asto depending on who's lead), and for colosseum defense, :light:Janice (Lead) + :fire:Blaze, :fire:Blaze, :water:Sae, (and last unit - Asto/Selena/Holia)

SP all arena/colo units where applicable for KO resistance.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  11. ily2bb

ily2bb Archfiend

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Mordlim
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Thanks so much!

Should I try and summon for Nimune?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  12. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Regil, Shion
    Mm... if you want? I'm hesitant to overwhelmingly recommend that you do so, but it is worth noting that Nimune is a rez unit, which is very rare.

Now, I mean, these days we try to avoid the units dying in the first place, but there's probably still situations where the rez would be useful, e.g. Endless FG, perhaps Guild Raid. I think if you were to summon for Nimune, it would essentially be for the rez capability.

If you then do something like Holia UBB and Nimune UBB in the same build, possibly Shion UBB in there as well, that's a very strong safety net of survival and ability to recover from things going to shit.

13. ily2bb

ily2bb Archfiend

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Mordlim
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    I chose not to, and chose to instead start summoning from the world summon gate.