Need help forming a squad.

Discussion in 'Units & Squads' started by Quatris, May 17, 2016.

1. Quatris

Quatris Gladiator

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Maestro Goddess Miku
    Level:
    My current squad is: 6*Maestro Goddess Miku(Leader),6 *Pumpress Semira, 7*Vicious Twin-Edge Logan, 6*Guardian Darvanshel, 6*Worldly Themis.
    From the beginning I just chose what looked cool and now that I'm back and playing the game wanted to start from scratch with the units I already have. The squad I am currently using is no longer able to clear many missions and has a lot of issues so far, especially on 2 star Raid and up.

Fire:fire::
    4* Lava Pheonix
    5* Lotus Axe Michele
    5* Dark Princess Dia
    4* Luther
    6* Guardian Darvanshel (and another 4* of him)
    5* Divine Emperor Orwen
    5* Fire Rod Limera
    5* Inferno Berdette

Water:water::
    6* Holy Ice Selena
    6* Azure Goddess Lucina
    4* Divine Prince Arius

Earth:earth::
    5* Blade Hero Zelban
    4* Golem
    5* Ivy Nalmika
    4* Forest Guardian Tia
    6* Maestro Goddess Miku

Thunder:thunder::
    4* Bolt Gun Rowgen
    6* Lightning Gun Rowgen
    5* Blue Spark Reud

Light:light::
    4* Bahamut
    6* Worldly Themis
    4* Brave Legend Hogar
    5* Princess Estia
    5* Light Priestess Charla

Dark:dark::
    6* Hell Keep Alice
    7* Vicious Twin-Edge Logan
    5* Sir Sancus Xenon
    6* Pumpress Semira
    5* Demon Knight Febros

I was thinking a full fire or dark team but also looking at a balanced squad. Right now I am saving up my fuse and evolve units for a squad that will work best. Looking for some advice from players that also play the game as to which unit to use as leader and what kind of squad i would be looking at with what is available. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks for taking a look and helping out.

2. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Lukroar, Shion
    So, two of your unit slots are locked in, actually. You're gonna want to build with Darvanshel + Charla, so actually all you're doing is choosing three more units to go with 'em. Not five units, just three picks.

See, you only own a single mitigator, Darvanshel, therefore you must use Darvanshel. Squad must contain mitigator, a community term for a 50% dmg reduction unit, for most harder content - including raids, later quests, trial, vortex GGC. Think of it as bringing a tank in some other RPG. You only have one mitigator, he's fire. If you leave Darvanshel out, you'd need to use friend unit for mitigation, which is possible but unreliable.

This means by definition you can't have a dark squad, unless it's mostly dark and then Darvanshel sort of chilling out in there and going 'sup, my purple brethren, you don't mind a red bro, do ya? Do ya? Yeah, you can do it, but it defeats the purpose.

You're probably also looking at bringing Charla. Now, Charla's one of those units which some players overlook, because she's a pure buffer, heals, does buffs, doesn't herself attack with BB/SBB. But the thing is, she brings a ton of high quality buffs and is your only source for some of those things - you have literally zero other source of BB fill when squad spark, no other source of crit dmg buff, and only one other source of crit rate buff (Michele 7*), and Michele's crit rate buff is kind of shitty. Essentially you want Charla.

Beyond that, you actually have choices. Phoenix, Limera, Selena, Berdette, Lucina, Reud, Bahamut, Alice, Febros and maybe Logan are all functional choices for you, though some of those don't necessarily go together.

In practical terms I think you're either running Darvanshel + Charla + Berdette OR Darvanshel + Charla + Febros + Lucina ... and you're doing that to further strengthen your squad defenses. Either works, the Berdette version is more slot efficient but requires you to deliberately cast BB every three rounds at minimum rather than just spam SBB. Full explanation below.

Squads are built with eventual 7* and Omni in mind, though work at lower levels.

GENERAL PURPOSE SQUAD BUILD #1
    :thunder:Reud, :light:Charla (Either Lead) + :fire:Darvanshel, :fire:Berdette, :water:Selena (or Phoenix)

- if Charla lead, then maybe Semira or Logan instead of Reud. I am really not a fan of Logan though.
    - in this setup, you'll want to occasionally cast Berdette's BB rather than SBB even when SBB is unlocked. Berdette BB does a def buff based on squad's atk stat, which is boosted by her own SBB atk buff, and combines with Darvanshel's def buff for a net high def. Similarly 7* Darvanshel has an atk buff based on def, which... yeah, you see where this is going.
    - I like this setup better, but let's keep going---

GENERAL PURPOSE SQUAD BUILD #2
    :dark:Febros, :light:Charla (Either Febros/Charla Lead) + :fire:Darvanshel, :water:Lucina, (choice of last unit)

- Reud, Selena, Phoenix, Semira, maybe Logan for last slot, maybe Bahamut.
    - if Reud or Bahamut is used in last slot then either of them can also lead
    - in this setup, rather than using Berdette BB for def buff based on atk, you use Febros SBB. However Febros SBB def buff based on atk is weaker than Berdette's BB for this effect, so please bear that in mind - this setup is less tanky.
    - Lucina then provides the atk buff to fuel the convert and to stack with Darvanshel's def->atk.
    - so by definition this squad requires more units to do what the Berdette version does, and the end result is weaker - so why do this? Convenience, can just spam SBB... and maybe you like Febros and Lucina better, I dunno. :p

NOTE: NORMAL HIT
    - 7* :water:Lucina and :fire:Berdette also increase normal hit count, which is effectively a damage multiplier to normal attacks (not BB/SBB, just regular attacks) and boosts BC/HC drop from normals. This makes it worthwhile to use normals, they'll end up not lagging too far behind BB/SBB for damage.
    - normal hits are single target, so this can help in raids to focus down one enemy body part.
    - Berdette's lead skill is good for normal hit attacking if you find you like this strategy.

NOTE: OMNI EVOLUTIONS
    - :water:Selena and :dark:Alice have Omni Evolution - well, Selena has it, Alice is said to get one in the future - this isn't just a rumour, the producer/director of Brave Frontier said it on camera. Alice doesn't quite fit in your builds at the moment, but her future Omni may mean she's worth working on and slating for eventual use.

NOTE: SEMIRA
    - yes specifically this is just a note about Semira. She's your best status inflict unit, so you will want to field her for certain stuff even if you don't use her 24/7. If she isn't a permanent member, swap her in for some RC6 runs when you reach RC6, use her for certain trials, FG1-30 Hall of Challengers clear, so on. You don't need status inflict all the time, but when you need it, you REALLY REALLY NEED IT.

ARENA
    :fire:Berdette (Lead) + :fire:Phoenix, :water:Selena, (choice of two units)

- arena setups are somewhat different, so here's a framework for you.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    Cameron Smith likes this.
  3. Quatris

Quatris Gladiator

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Maestro Goddess Miku
    Level:
    Wow thank you very much for the detailed information and that you were able to help so quickly. I have been looking around and saw that Charla is being used in alot of squads, so I'm glad I was able to summon her today. I'll have to get her up. I will try out all the combinations you suggested and see which works best. It will take a bit to get the setup up and going, due to lacking the Red BB fusing units to get the SBB's. I really like the idea of the first build you said with the Berdette and Darvanshel synergy. Can't wait to start trying all this out, Thanks so much again.

4. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Lukroar, Shion
    No problem. Glad to help. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask - even if I don't get back to you, I'm sure someone else will.

Charla is an extremely useful unit. You will see some players saying that she's quite as awe-inspiring nowadays, she has competition from other units... yeah, sure, if you have those other units. If you don't have a million and one units and all the newest shiny stuff, Charla's a godsend, she's a Swiss Army Knife.

5. Quatris

Quatris Gladiator

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Maestro Goddess Miku
    Level:
    I just got Owen from raid class 5 and was wondering if he was good to use in combination with the first squad build you suggested Acyl.

6. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Lukroar, Shion
    Not...really. Owen's not bad for a free unit, but he maxes at 6* until you can beat Trial Grahdens/Owen EX, for the 7* evo mat. It's hard to beat. And even then, his buffs are generally covered elsewhere in the squad builds.

7. Quatris

Quatris Gladiator

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Maestro Goddess Miku
    Level:
    Oh ok, didnt know about the 7* evolve condition. Thanks again.

8. Quatris

Quatris Gladiator

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Maestro Goddess Miku
    Level:
    I did a few summons from the Sakura Summon and got some new units. Wondering if any are able to be used or worth leveling up/evolve.

5*:water:Inferno Sareas
    5*:earth:Earth Blade Duran
    5*:light:Larking Kira
    6*:light:Sakura Miku
    5*:dark:Misfortune Feeva
    5*:dark:Inferno Melina

Any input/advice is very much appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to help out.

9. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Lukroar, Shion
    Duran, Kira and Feeva may be of limited use. Kira is outclassed by the Sakura Miku you just pulled. Duran is primarily useful as an arena lead - you can consider using him as an alternative to Berdette lead.

Feeva is unfortunately outdated by modern standards, though since she's a fan favourite who's suffered from power creep it is possible the devs may give her an omni nod at some point. This is pure speculation though - well, the speculation that she'll get an omni. It is fact that she's a fan favourite character, and a fact that the devs know this (she is one of a small handful of characters to have alternate appearances you can toggle between at 7*).

Melina's a single target dedicated attacker who refills her own BB/SBB gauge - this is mostly valuable for raid, trial/GGC, boss fights. Good pull, just not necessarily immediately essential if you're not yet doing stuff where you REALLY NEED that sustained focus fire.

Sareas is a sustained AOE attacker - like Melina, refills own BB gauges, but does an AOE attack instead. Different use. Provides base of sparking for rest of squad. Also does BB fill when squad sparks effect (though Charla does this).

Sakura Miku is an Omni, strong crit unit (though Charla also covers crit effects), also increases normal hit (though your Berdette and Lucina do this), and also does atk debuff.

The chief issue here is that Sareas and Sakura Miku, while excellent units, overlap with stuff you already have. It isn't possible to directly drop them in builds and boogie. Well, you can, but it's not efficient. Effective use of them would involve complete dismantling of the builds previously suggested to you.

One possibility:-

CRIT SQUAD
    :light:Sakura Miku (Lead) + :water:Sareas, :thunder:Reud, (choice of two units, depends) + FRIEND: :thunder:Eze
    - what you take in the two spaces depends on what this is used for. If FH/FG, more attackers is fine, no need for defenses.
    - if used for general purpose, then you want :fire:Darvanshel in there still, and maybe :water:Selena for healing - alternatively, you can opt to SP Sakura Miku to provide some healing, leave out Selena, and then take... :dark:Febros, probably, for BC/HC drop and atk->def stack.

10. Quatris

Quatris Gladiator

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Maestro Goddess Miku
    Level:
    Thanks Acyl for all the help btw. So for Sakura Miku I wouldnt really be able to use her with my current list of units unless I find a friend with Eze or I get Eze myself? Seems like shes only usable in a Crit squad from her BB/SBB skill. I'm glad i can use Duran as another Arena unit. I'll be sure to level up the units you mentioned as well as Melina.

I'm currently having trouble completed the last quest in Raid Class 5, the solo against the boss. He ends up one shotting a unit until all of them are eventually dead. Not sure what to do. I still need to evolve Selena to Omni and Berdette one more time so maybe just finishing that up and increasing all the units stats some will then be able to accomplish it. As of now that boss destroys my squad lol. Thanks again for all your help so far.

11. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Lukroar, Shion
    No, it is merely that FH/FG meta typically uses one crit dmg lead and one spark dmg lead; the spark dmg lead is typically Eze. This is an overgeneralisation because some crit dmg leads are also spark dmg leads, e.g. Avant, Nyami, Zedus.

Miku's primarily suited for FH/FG as a lead or sub because she has crit rate, crit dmg, high hit count on SBB.

However she does have decent utility in raid/trial setups; she also carries normal hit increase (but you need to understand normal hit mechanic to get maximum use out of this, google an explanation on normal hit increase in Brave Frontier). She's also the best atk stat debuffer in the game at present (and outclasses future unreleased units in this niche) - this should not be underestimated. You could probably just replace Lucina in that one build there, the :dark:Febros, :light:Charla (Either Febros/Charla Lead) + :fire:Darvanshel, :light:Sakura Miku, (choice of unit). Miku's overlapping with Charla for crit effects, though.
    The various builds we've been discussing for general purpose are more than strong enough to do this. The issue is probably levels, evos, spheres and so on, but people beat Shusui with far worse setups. Fundamentally you should be pretty much fine with a decent lead/friend, a mitigator, a status/heal unit, some damage buffs, and HoT.

: Help, Squad