New Player. Squad advice-Updated with many units!

Discussion in 'Units & Squads' started by Joseph Parziale, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Joseph Parziale

Joseph Parziale

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Zenia
    Hey Everyone,

I am new to the game, mostly play FFRK, but i am really enjoying BF now that i started. I managed to get some half decent units, but i have no idea how to organize them into the best squad and what to aim for as far as leveling? Any help is appreciated, thank you. I like to use Mono squads in games like this.

I have the materials to level up a bunch of them if need be since i got so many special items for joining in late.

Dawn Emperor Agress (LV Max)
    Frolic Emperor Kira (LV 70
    Tech Craze Ionia
    Tartarus Massacre Sirius
    Shining Wisdom Solos
    Matriarch Gabriela

Obsidian Seraph Zenia (Max Level, and ready to evolve, was going to use her as leader)
    Shadow Blade Zenia
    Pioneering Leader Shion (LV 98)
    Ohantom Victor Zephyr
    Marzanna Reaper Elza
    Seductive Enticer Luina
    Alleycat Nyami

Sealed Thunder Ordine(LV 106)
    Lion Demon Viktor
    Watchful Eyes Baro

White Wulf Faelan (LV 109, my only Omni for now)
    Flora Aegis Edea
    Wulf Aspirant Faelan

Ardent Dawn Avant

Decay Demon Melord(Lv Max)
    Worldwalker llm
    Frigid Blade Asto
    Heavenly Ties Wintia

2. siegfried.bautista

siegfried.bautista Savior

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    ensa
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    brave frontier
    Iam not too great with party building anymore but I can tell you to focus your wintia first she’s a very good midigator which is mandatory in any build because of the 50% damage cut you get Elza should be 2nd as spark buff is the most reliable damage buff yes Crit will outdamage spark any day but only on content without resist there is no end game with spark resist Nyami can be last as she’s a pure dps/nuker generally every build has one nuker these 3 are basically the core buffs (there are more but someone else’s can get into that it’s not really too important for new players)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joseph Parziale likes this.
  3. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Lukroar, Shion
    Siegfried is correct that a squad needs a mitigator and a spark dmg buffer. However that mitigator doesn't need to be Wintia, and the spark buffer doesn't need to be Elza. It can be, but you have choices.

For mitigators, which is basically the tank role of the game... you have Wintia, Edea, Solos and Ilm. In practice you'll probably raise Wintia no matter what, since her lead skill is your best arena/colo LS. But you could use her as mitigator in main squad... or not.

One point is that squad needs someone for status ailment cleanse/removal. If you take Wintia or Edea in mitigator slot then they already cover this role. If you take Solos or Ilm, then squad also needs to contain Baro, Melord or Faelan (but Faelan is kinda shitty), as these are your other units who cleanse.

For spark dmg buff, your options are Elza, Zenia, also Ionia, Zephyr - the last two don't have spark dmg buff by default but can add this with Omni. However we can likely instantly eliminate Zephyr as he doesn't synergise well with Shion, who will be in your build, see below. You're looking at either Elza or Ionia alone, or Elza+Ionia, Zephyr+Ionia. Why? Because aside from spark dmg buff you want sparks fill BB gauge, which Ionia or Elza can do solo, or you can pair Elza/Zenia with Ionia.

The issue with Elza is that it takes a lot of SP investment and potentially Omni+ evo to get her up to minimum standards for inclusion in a modern build. It is doable but heavy expenditure for an older/obsolete unit. Trying to cram all the SP you need into her is costly, so while Elza being the only unit you have for spark roles is space-saving, you may want to go the Elza+Ionia or Zenia+Ionia version across two slots, temporarily, or use Ionia alone.

Shion wasn't discussed by Siegfried. He needs to be talked about, because I guarantee you the majority of BF players would tell you to raise Shion.

Shion has an account XP boosting lead skill. This is useless once an account is max level, but at any time before that, it is EXTREMELY valuable. More levels, more energy bar, more squad space, level up rewards from achievements, etc. However do bear in mind Shion LS is a levelling one, it isn't great for anything else. You will want Shion as one of the three leads you have up for friends.

Shion also does atk/def/rec stat buffs (which is why he doesn't play nice with Zephyr in a mixed ele squad, Zephyr also does this - we avoid overlap in squad, the buffs don't combine, they just cancel each other). Shion adds elements, does OD fill, and has a great UBB for boss fighting use, three turn dmg reduction that instantly refunds your OD gauge to half, making it quicker to use the next UBB. The right build can chain cast Shion UBB.

Next, Gabriela would also be a lock for you. Similar to Shion she has one of the best UBBs for boss killing, hers does 80% chance units don't drop below 1HP and instead heal to full, you cast this early as a safety net, buff has no time limit, lasts until triggered. Prevents death basically.

MAIN SQUAD
    :dark:Shion, :water:Wintia (or Edea), :light:Gabriela, :dark:Zenia (or Elza), :light:Ionia

- Shion lead for levelling, for raid or damage dealing maybe Ionia lead or Zenia/Elza, for boss fights maybe Gabriela lead
    - if using Wintia, SP her for status ailment removal/cleanse, Edea has it by default on ES once maxed out
    - if using Edea, SP for two turn dmg reduction duration
    - if using Zenia, SP Gabriela for heal over three turns, optionally the big burst heal. If using Elza, SP Gabriela for the burst heal.
    - Ionia only has sparks fill BB gauge on BB, not SBB.

MAIN SQUAD (alternates)
    :dark:Shion, :water:Wintia (or Edea), :light:Gabriela, :dark:Elza (or Ionia), (choice of 1x unit)
    :dark:Shion, :light:Solos (or Ilm), :light:Gabriela, :dark:Elza (or Ionia), :water:Melord (or Baro/Faelan)
    - these builds require heavy investment in Elza SP, at minimum spark dmg increase and sparks fill BB gauge.
    - however it is also recommended to increase unit HP/stats via SP, in order to do that on Elza with above SP, she needs to be minimum Omni+2
    - for Ionia you'd SP her for spark dmg buff... cheaper than getting Elza up to spec. Ionia does need to alternate cast BB and SBB tho, as buffs are different. Elza can spam SBB.

FRONTIER HUNTER/CRIT SQUAD
    :dark:Nyami (or Avant, Lead) + :thunder:Ordine, :dark:Shion, :dark:Elza (or Zenia/Zephyr), :light:Sirius
    - if Elza has sparks fill gauge SP, replace Sirius with Gabriela or something

ARENA/COLO
    :water:Wintia (or Asto, Lead) + :water:Ilm, :light:Gabriela, :water:Asto (if not lead), (choice of 1x unit)

- probably Viktor or a farmed Mifune in last slot I guess

4. Joseph Parziale

Joseph Parziale

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Zenia
    HOLY SMOKES. Wow, thank you both. I had not realized how much about this game had changed. I played liked 3 years ago for a few months and lost my account. I just started again and my head is spinning with all the new stuff.

I didn't realize how useful Wintia was. I have so many 7 star units from the recent pulls that it is hard to tell who is useless and who is useful.

Shion and Zenia seemed like obvious ones. I will probably do following since i like these unites. But will play around with the others you mentioned as well! You get a ton of EXP from the 5 key metal gates, i was able to fully level a few characters just from one round, probably more if i was more efficient.
    1-Who should i Omni first? I have the units to do Zenia already.
    2-What does SP level mean? I have a TON of frogs, imps, and elgifs but am still learning what they do.

:dark:Shion, :water:Wintia, :light:Gabriela, :dark:Zenia, :light:Ionia

5. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Lukroar, Shion
    Def ignore buff is useful for killing metal units (though def ignore is not valued in most other places). Off the top of my head, Kira has def ignore (and def debuff, but ignore's better). Squad can also simply do enough damage to overwhelm the metal unit defenses, e.g. nuke units like Nyami or something.
    If you're doing Shion+Wintia, Gabriela, Zenia, Ionia... Shion or Wintia first, then Gabriela, then Zenia, Ionia. Shion for lead skill, Wintia because she has to be Omni ASAP in order to buy status ailment cleanse with SP (see below). Gabriela because she needs to be Omni ASAP in order to buy healing effects with SP (again, see below). Until Wintia and Gabriela have their cleanse and heal, the squad isn't a working build.
    At max Omni, meaning Omni Evo, level 150, BB and SBB at level 10 with UBB and ES unlocked, a unit gains access to 'enhancements' menu. Enhancements are unique for each unit, and are purchased by SP. I can't remember what that stands for, probably spec points or something. There are more enhancements for each unit than you can afford, so you must choose which to get. Unit starts with 10 SP by default, max of 100 SP for an Omni evo unit. Omni+1 units have max 105 SP, Omni+2 have max 110 SP, Omni+3 have max 120 SP.

You gain more SP via... fusing trash units, even free farmables, gives you a chance of SP increase. Burst frogs, burst emperors, sphere frogs, omni frogs give larger number of guaranteed SP increase, though the 'cheaper' way is to fuse a lot of trash.

SP enhancements do things like boost unit's passive stats, add other passive self-only benefits, or add effects to BB and SBB - the last one can include squadwide buffs. For example, Wintia does not do status cleanse by default, you must purchase it for SP. If using Wintia rather than Edea, you must prioritise this SP purchase... Edea removes ailments by default at max Omni (it is part of her ES), Wintia needs the optional purchase. On the other hand, Edea needs SP to increase her mitigation buff duration, Wintia's is already max two turns by default.

Likewise Gabriela is considered a good healer, but she doesn't actually heal anything as a vanilla out of the box unit. She has two kinds of heal she can add on with SP enhancement, but she needs the SP for it (the usual alternative is SP on Gabriela for BB gauge boosts, which is also viable, but in the build listed above she'd be spec'd as heals)

6. Joseph Parziale

Joseph Parziale

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Zenia
    Thanks again!
    Okay i have the materials to actually get Shion to Omni now. Just need a bit more Karma. And then i probably have enough points to cash in for the evolve units for Wintia as well. And then i will go for Gabriela. I will stick with that goal for now so i don't get overwhelmed! And then i will work on getting Wintia and Gabrielas SP effects.

It is frustrating that you can't use frogs and stuff until they are Omni because the units reset at evolve because they are clogging up my entire inventory. I have about 40 or more elgifs, frogs, and imps. Maybe more.

Who would you pick personally between Edea/Wintia and Ionia/Elza?

7. Joseph Parziale

Joseph Parziale

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Zenia
    Alright i caved and bought 10 blossom tickets. This game has a habit of making me want to spend money way more than FFRK ever has. Unfortunately i got so many damn duplicates!! Does this shake things up a bit for a team? I already Omni'd Shion, and raised Wintia and Gabriela to Lvl 120 and have most of the evolve materials.

Ultimate Behemoth Omni
    Divine Revolvers Millie Omni
    Weeping Ice Camilla
    Justice Blade Nagid
    Flashing Light Licht
    Flora Aegis Edea X 2 Dammit! (Both duplicates)
    Tech Craze Ionia (Another duplicate)
    Shinging Wisdom Solos (Another duplicate)
    Pioneering Leader Shion (Another duplicate)

8. Yoshino

Yoshino Thanatos

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Who ever I feel like
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    PoK (JP) ID is 526828949
    Behemoth with the right spheres is good for colo. your dupes can be used for omni plus fodder. So your edea can go OE+2 Licht is rather trashy tbh (hes an ok filler for a mono thunder squad I suppose but thats it. Nagid is a mitigator. Millie im not sure on better ask @Acyl on that one

9. Joseph Parziale

Joseph Parziale

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Zenia
    Thanks, well i am not sure what the hell happened, but my account reset..........

I didn't link it to my FB or Google, but i did snap a picture of my player ID and player name. They better be able to restore my account because i just dumped $50 into this game with the intent on getting a jump start.

10. Yoshino

Yoshino Thanatos

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Who ever I feel like
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    PoK (JP) ID is 526828949
    Why didnt you link to FB

11. Joseph Parziale

Joseph Parziale

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Zenia
    I mean if i knew i would have. I didn't realize it wasn't linked to my google like every other game i play.

12. Yoshino

Yoshino Thanatos

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Who ever I feel like
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    PoK (JP) ID is 526828949
    It doesnt actually save the data to google its saved to FB only. hopefully you can recover your account and when you do immediately link it to fb

13. Joseph Parziale

Joseph Parziale

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Zenia
    Yeah lesson learned there. I would sincerely hope they could recover my account if i had the invoices of my purchases and my ID number. Otherwise i am giving the game up and they are not making any more money off me :p No way i am starting over. I am not sure why it all of a sudden decided to reset the game. It crashed and reset me. Strange. I probably won't get a response until monday now too, so looks like i won't be playing for a bit. O well.

14. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Lukroar, Shion
    I'd suggest Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius if you enjoyed this and FFRK, but obviously FFBE is by the same studio and group of companies as Brave Frontier, so that could be construed as giving them time and money. Though not the same team of people by this point.

15. Joseph Parziale

Joseph Parziale

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Zenia
    got it back! back to building lol

Yoshino likes this.
  16. Joseph Parziale

Joseph Parziale

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Zenia
    So i have shion as my lead, but is there any other way to level up faster? I get about 4-5k doing the totem dungeons right now. I can only make a squad of two people which is really frustrating. I need a few dozen levels before i can even do 3 or 4. Just wondering if there is a better way.

Is there a way to maybe buy experience boosting items? Thanks! Gonna go for Wintia next and then Gabriela. And then i am going to get Wintia's top BB and then Gabriela's. I have enough frogs to maybe do one of them outright with just frogs.

17. Yoshino

Yoshino Thanatos

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Who ever I feel like
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    PoK (JP) ID is 526828949
    Yes when Omni Arcanium is out at end of month that will level you up (it will also sometimes give you exp tokens. you can buy exp tokens x3 from merrit hall, events such as SKD (super karma dungeon) will also level you up good

18. et477

et477 Crusader

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Selena(My friends need it lols), Gabriella
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Hearthstone
    I just joined back too, what's Omni arcanum ?

Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using Tapatalk

19. Joseph Parziale

Joseph Parziale

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Zenia
    Alrighty so i got Shion, Wintia , gabriela at Omni level. Just need to do some 5 key jewel parades to level to them up to max.

I have the following and am not sure how i should use them, and who i should use them on? Was thinking Wintia to get her damage reduction even better. I also have 10 gems saved up for a rainy day. I am done pulling for a while. I keep getting duplicates. I got a fourth faelan and a fourth Ionia.

Burst Frog X 15
    Burst Emperor X 5
    Burst Queen X 1
    Omni Frog X 5

I did also manage to add the following units, so i am not sure how that will change the plans. Wintia and damage reduction has been a huge help, i flew right through the crusade of six heroes, i seemed to take almost no damage, and when i did it was recovered. This entire games strategy is so different than when i played years ago, so much more depth.

Omni
    Millie
    Ultimate Behemoth
    7*
    Mariletta
    Daros

20. Acyl

Acyl

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Lukroar, Shion
    Millie and Behemoth are possible alternates for Zenia (or units like Zephyr) in a build... they have spark dmg buff or can add it with SP (Millie doesn't have it by default). They hit much harder than Zenia if casting BB/SBB, but they don't have Zenia's functionality as a normal hit buffer for situations where normal hit buff is more advantageous than BB/SBB. Millie has some ailments and is a good carrier of an ailment inflict sphere, Behemoth has self-spark dmg buff in addition to regular squadwide spark buffs.

Millie and Behemoth do not replace Elza/Ionia as units that can do sparks fill BB gauge - you need both spark dmg buff and sparks fill BB gauge in a squad, ideally... meaning either build is Millie/Behemoth/Zenia + Ionia across two squad slots, or just Elza/Ionia alone in one squad slot depending on SP expenditure. If using Elza/Ionia alone, then Elza needs sparks fill gauge SP and Ionia needs spark dmg buff SP. As mentioned, Elza needs a LOT of SP investment to get working.

Mariletta is a BB fill when squad is damaged unit with some support buffs. Gabriela is overall better in a one-to-one comparison, though it depends if Gabriela is in squad at all - part of the reason we slot Gabriela is the UBB, but you do have Nagid now as an alternative to Gabriela (Nagid takes the Wintia slot tho).

Daros is a atk/def/rec relative to HP buffer who has various other support effects like crit/ele/debuff null and a dmg buff in BB atk. Gabriela already does some crit null, though admittedly it isn't super convenient to use Gabriela's nulls. The atk/def/rec based on HP may or may not be useful... generally you want SOMETHING of this kind to stack with base stat buffers like Shion, but you do have various defensive stat stack options available like Nagid, Solos, even Ionia has some of this (albeit weak version)... BB atk is always nice to include if possible, but you shouldn't be picking a unit just for BB atk.