Preparing for Summoner Mode - Guide/Discussion

Discussion in 'Summoner Mode' started by Eleiryn, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Eleiryn

Eleiryn QUACK QUACK BOOM Administrator

Leader:
    Divine Emperor Glowy
    Level:
    As you may have heard, JP server recently got Summoner Mode, where you basically start the game over on hard mode - there's a lot of info out there, but I'm going to link to the two best repositories of info I've found so far; the good folks over at AppInvasion made this guide which summarizes the raw elements of the mode incredibly well and is highly worth a read, and Ushi's stream which does a great job of showing what the mode is like. Having played through that stuff myself, Ushi's gameplay is reasonably representative of what a practical blind experience is like - and it's fucking HARD.

This topic is more about what people on global can do to make it easier though, in terms of prep and expectations. While it's not impossible to level multiple elements, it's very difficult to go rainbow or even just 2-3 elements, you're looking at generally 1+ week investment per element to get a usable 5*, and let's not even start on stuff like 7* SBB costs. There is a LOT of grinding to do and knowing what you're getting into can help prioritize for efficiency.

Summoner
    Leveling with crystals long-term is extremely expensive, but getting level 5 on spear asap with crystals will make earlygame a lot less painful with the bonus hp/regen. Save at least 15-20 crystals to do so regardless of which weapon type you actually want to use.

You ALWAYS want a spear user (you or ally doesn't matter much) for the first few gaggles of quests until you unlock 2nd slot - either your own or a spear ally - the def buff is crucial to not get one rounded as easily and rec buff is very very very useful for HC healing.

Sword+Spear summoners covers tristat buff and BC regen on BB (at low values granted). It's a solid, safe combo that works everywhere.

Leveling BB should increase the values of buffs so sticking with one weapon and grinding the shit out of it will help in many ways

Units
    You unlock your first summoned unit slot AFTER beating the 4th group of quests, just fyi

Generally speaking you're gonna want defensive and BC gen options, damage doesn't matter if you get oneshot and you simply don't have enough slots to 'waste' one on a spark or crit buffer yet. Certain nukers are GREAT for fast grinding though and will be listed below

Cleanse/immunity are probably the most important buddy for ailment inflicting quests 'cuz summoner has nothing practical to deal with them (sorry, that LS sphere is shit), so while you don't want/need them everywhere, BE FUCKING SURE you have at least one good 4-5* cleanser or ideally immunity option in your pocket

Spear summoner covers def/rec but a 100%+ def buffer can still add a ton of survivability by overwriting especially early on when your def buff value sucks; Laberd, Piany, Dolk, Libera, Pamela, and (wait for it...) Bargus are all defensive juggernauts with 100-115% def buff that work EXTREMELY well with a Sword summoner

BCHC and heals are very valuable too; probably even moreso than mitigation and def buffs since you have very limited healing options and will run out of items quickly in long/hard fights. HoT is more useful than Heal if you struggle to BB every turn, but if you can BB every turn (Phantom Gizmo+Sacred Blade/Sacred Crystal) then it doesn't really matter that much and heal is a bit better

Mitigation is very difficult to fund every turn due to the massive ares down effect initially and high costs of low level BBs, but something like Phantom Gizmo+Sacred Blade can do a lot. Just remember that you need other buffs too and without a heal or huge def buff to minimize damage, you'll die sooner or later regardless

Pamela is probably one of single strongest earlygame (5*) units available or at least very good - large def boost, huge BCHC drop, and an atk->def convert means she goes great with a Sword/Axe or Sword/Lance summoner combo, and 3 turn duration on everything means no BC issues. If you have her, you may want to seriously consider rocking Thunder+Sword right from the start to pump her up ASAP and synergize with her.

Below are some standout units by element. NOT an exhaustive list, but some of the better earlygame options to prep depending on your preferred element. Unless otherwise noted, all units refer to their 5* form - 6* and above are unlockable, but SBB costs are untenable and at least for the first week or two you're probably gonna be relying heavily on 5* stuff. STRONGLY consider imping and sphere frogging them, you need the stats desperately.

Fire
    Only registered members can view this content, click here to sign up and view it!

Water
    Only registered members can view this content, click here to sign up and view it!

Earth

Thunder

Light

Dark

LS Spheres
    Critically important - you give up a huge amount of power by running without one. Prepare all of the materials possible before release! You can get them by 2nd gaggle of summoner quests easily

Both the Atk/BC regen and HP/REC LS are good 'cuz you need a bunch of both, but HP is god so it's probably safer... to the surprise of absolutely no one.

The semi-immunity one is absolute trash; the regen/heal on hit one may be a viable alternative to raw HP but I don't think I got any of the drops for it until much later in quests so in general I'd say just rushing HP and then CONSIDERING the hot one is your best option

Items
    Expect to use a metric fuckload of healing and support items early on regardless of how well you prepare.

Getting a large stock of cures and divine lights will make the earlygame much easier before you have access to a healer. regen items can be helpful as well. Most quests drop divine lights so don't stress those too much though.

Revives are incredibly valuable and you will likely go through 1-3 on most serious fights early on; get a LOT of spare revive/revive lights/crescent dews

[Element] Seals will help keep people alive and are very slot-efficient compared to shit like defense potions.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    Drew05, Vice, Bobby Blaze and 24 others like this.
  2. Darkbreeze

Darkbreeze Cherubium

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Meta-Stuff
    Level:
    21x
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    FF XIV - Heavensward
    do you need an extra 5* copy of the units mentioned above?, guess 7* units wont downgrade to 5* for this mode?
    well nonetheless am happy that i still have a Pamela and Charla 5* , going to imp and +them

3. Eleiryn

Leader:
    Divine Emperor Glowy
    Level:
    You need a 5* copy of the unit. 7* units stay 7* and are only unlocked at [element] level 10 with base stats.

For me, I'm gonna be using 5* Rinon early, then moving on to Vanila ASAP with situational use of 7* Charla as needed for bosses (ex. the EX dungeon).

4. Darkbreeze

Darkbreeze Cherubium

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Meta-Stuff
    Level:
    21x
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    FF XIV - Heavensward
    well am sitting at a ton of valuable 5* units, Rinon is one of them as well., guess status inflictions are really a big deal? ^^#
    havent played that version yet, so i cannot tell, only watched a few pieces of ushi's gameplay videos

Monado likes this.
  5. Eleiryn

Leader:
    Divine Emperor Glowy
    Level:
    Not a HUGE deal - most of map 1 can be done just fine without any ailment control - but a few fights (Reeze comes to mind) are a bit less RNG with immunity/cleanse going for you. It's one of those things you don't actually need for much, but HOO BOY will you wish you had brought it when you do need it.

6. Reaper

Reaper Astraeus

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Rain, Holia, Zeruiah, Avant (FH)
    Level:
    870+
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Chrono trigger and SMT IV
    I'm so happy I have Layla and Dolk for this. Thanks for the useful guide Eleiryn.

Monado and Eleiryn like this.
  7. Darkbreeze

Darkbreeze Cherubium

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Meta-Stuff
    Level:
    21x
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    FF XIV - Heavensward
    well that sounds actually quite promising.
    well getting my Rinon, charla, pamela and krantz 5*'s rdy ^^

Edit:
    Just seen i have Layla as well , holy crap i have a shitton of potential 7*'s still sitting at 5*'s xD

Monado and Eleiryn like this.
  8. Jimfear83

Jimfear83 Slumber God

Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Ensa
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    This is what I get for obsessively leveling up all my old units. I deserve this.

9. Taikero

Taikero Apollo

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Ensa-Taya/Juno-Seto/Randolph/Zeruiah
    Level:
    289+
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Dungeon Rush
    My procrastination has paid off, and I believe I have quite a few 5* and 6* units just kicking around, so....should be able to make something happen when this hits.

I kind of feel like going into this mostly blind. Seems more fun that way (Though I will pick spear most likely because I started the game with Lance...seems appropriate).

Darkbreeze likes this.
  10. Kaosunoa

Kaosunoa Calamity Host

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Zelnite, Regil, Long
    Level:
    500-600
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    120+ units half are 5-6* hmm this will be fun

11. Zaegar

Zaegar Calamity Host

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    245xx55135
    Leader:
    Shion, Zeis, Cleria
    Level:
    So far yet so near
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    FFXIV-heavensward - 7K
    Just to be sure...
    What game are u talking about?

Jk

Funny fact. A lot of ppl have layla and dolk at 5* (yes, me too) even if they are (aka were on release) really good units

Seems lazyness is human worst enemy.

12. Darsnider

Darsnider Supreme

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Bestie, Zenia, Deimos, Tridon, Quaid
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 4
    thank god im still sitting on a bunch of dupes from old units
    thank you challenge arena making me keep a copy of units so i can always have spares now i know but need to level and max thier bb now awesome

ZYX likes this.
  13. Darkbreeze

Darkbreeze Cherubium

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Meta-Stuff
    Level:
    21x
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    FF XIV - Heavensward
    talking about 5* 's , this is going to take a few minutes xDD

ZYX likes this.
  14. Jr77

Jr77 Dark Destroyer

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Juno-seto
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Melty Blood
    Thank god I have a few of the units u mentioned above at 5*. Limera, libera, Charla, piany, laberd, krantz. Hopefully I'll do ok

Give it up Deelishis you look like a man!

15. Eris

Eris Seraphim

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Zeruiah
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    This thread makes me want to pull at the reduced price gates, even though none of the units mentioned have a rate up. But I will resist! Maybe I'll get them as noise pull during the next LE gate or something. Must save for the next LE!

16. Darkbreeze

Darkbreeze Cherubium

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Meta-Stuff
    Level:
    21x
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    FF XIV - Heavensward
    what is LE?

17. Eris

Eris Seraphim

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Zeruiah
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Limited Edition; those units that are only available for a limited time. Juno-Seto, Ensa-Taya, Zeruiah, etc.

18. Eleiryn

Leader:
    Divine Emperor Glowy
    Level:
    It's quite doable - I did so so I could try random shit and see what worked. I still recommend crystal leveling your spear level to 5 for the free hp/regen though, once equipped you keep the extra skill even when swapping to another weapon and it makes things so much less obnoxious early on.

100% global will do a "summoner mode rate up!" somewhere around release - probably a mix of good and shitty units as per the usual, but I don't see them NOT capitalizing on another avenue for enticing summons. Really though you only need 1-2 usable units of your preferred element, not the whole list.

19. Haeabi

Haeabi Doombearer

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Ark Omni
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Do you have to use same unit element with the summoner?

20. Deathless Ausar

Deathless Ausar Diablo

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Sirius, Felice, Rain
    Level:
    420+
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Fate/Grand Order
    Bloody hell, it sounds exhausting. Good thing I have a few good and usable 5* units. I'm sure I'll be so left behind on grinding when this comes out.
    Anyway, thanks for the guide, heaven knows I'm going to need it.