Recent wave of Bans

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements' started by Josh, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Josh

Josh Lantern Administrator

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Dark Legend Magress
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Currently Playing:
    Final Fantasy XIV
    Hi everyone,

I feel that this is an issue that I need to address as it's getting a little out of hand. Over the past few weeks several members have been banned and a lot of members are questioning why. There has been a small minority of members that have been pushing the rules for a long time, we have put off banning anymore for months as we hate to warn or ban any staple member of the community - however there does come a point that we have to step in, rules are there for a reason after all.

It would seem that that minority have been informing other members that members are being banned for no reason or for disagreeing with a member of staff. I can assure you that this is absolutely not the case. No one has, or ever will be permanently banned for disagreeing with a member of staff or receiving their first warning - except for spambots, but no one wants spam bots right? :p

These people who have been banned have had plenty of informal and formal warnings prior to their bans. If you were to go through their previous posts, I think it'd become clear to you as to why they've had to be removed from the community - disruption does not benefit anyone.

While many of you may have considered banned users friends, this doesn't give you the right to start derailing threads or planning a retaliation. This makes you just as bad as the banned members and if you take it too far, you'll end up being banned as well.

The rules have been the same for a long time, and are linked at the top of every page. If you've not read them before, you can find them here: http://bravefrontierforum.net/help/terms

I hope you will all continue to use the community as it is intended, and how the majority of you do. (y)

Windel, kitkitkit, RainyRai and 4 others like this.
  2. Jet Stingren

Jet Stingren Cherubium

Server:
    Japanese
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Glyph (A) , Sagavehl (B) , Feeva (B), Vesty (A)
    Level:
    206 [JP]
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 5
    Currently Playing:
    Brave Frontier JP, FFRK
    I guess it's good that you're addressing it instead of ignoring it.

While I never been in any trouble myself yet. I find myself sometimes confused about rules here. As I feel some users get a red carpet and some get sniped right of the bat.

Regarding my confusion earlier. One time I was in chatbox, I was told to stop using profanity by @Eleiryn which hadn't happened before when @Priya was around if profanity wasn't allow in chatbox. Then why doesn't Priya say or really care if profanity is used in chatbox? It should be alright if it's not constant like every sentence or something.

3. Khaotil

Khaotil EU Guardian Moderator

Server:
    European
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Heinrich 7* - Herald of Yggdrasil
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 1
    I'd just like to add that we are NOT vigilants on top of our ivory tower, watching and judging our measly members from afar...
    No, we are players, just like you, who like to chat, laugh, debate, and even derail sometimes.
    We don't have any superiority complex, or only for the sake of humor.

But, all of us have accepted a single charge: to make this forum a more enjoyable place.
    And while sometimes, it means taking care of the forum cleaning, making stickies of useful threads, develop the forum or giving out some info on the game, it also means to act against some nasty behaviour, even if that's not what we like the most.
    Every ban is discussed between all of us, in order to be sure we're not making a mistake. We do not ban anyone lightly. And we always tries to find other solutions first.

Here is a little thread, created some time ago by @Priya where you can ask us whatever you want, and see by yourself we're not a tight-assed gestapo team, if you know what I mean ;)

Priya likes this.
  4. Priya

Priya The Witch Moderator

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Classified
    Leader:
    Nyami/Juno/Ensa
    Level:
    500~
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Overwatch
    Without actually searching through logs
    • Moderate use of swear words is acceptable, as long as it's not directed at another forum member.
    I feel like that might apply to the case.
    Also, if people genuinely have a question about THEIR OWN warnings/bans, they can PM us regarding the matter (which is the proper protocol)

5. Josh

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Dark Legend Magress
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Currently Playing:
    Final Fantasy XIV
    As I've said, the members that are getting "sniped right of the bat" are the members who have had a red carpet for too long. There comes a point where we have to intervene.

As for the chat issue, @Priya summed it up quite well. It's also worth noting that we're not robots, we all have our different views on what's acceptable. We do communicate with one another and try to be on the same page as much as possible. @Eleiryn might find something disruptive, where as @Priya might not. I have chosen these people to moderate the forum as I trust their discretion.

6. MrJiff

MrJiff Eukleia

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Tridon
    Level:
    300+
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 4
    Currently Playing:
    Final Fantasy Brave Exvius - 743,165,673
    I know that you guys are probably against public bashing but maybe putting up a thread when someone is banned listing the posts specifically they received warnings for, time, date, etc.. would make people understand. I think people just see "banned" and kinda wonder why. People like myself just assume that it was for valid reasons but even I would be curious why if for nothing but curiosity. That might seem like a bit too much work though.

The previous forum that i was on (League of Legends) people got banned in-game and mods would actually pull up some info on their ban and post it openly for everyone to understand. The community loved it (OP got rekt etc). Especially for grossly overdue bans.

I think most people would say.. "yeah, you can't really say things like that on here.. and he did get warned x times.." and accept it rather than think you took one of their friends from them randomly.

My 2 cents

7. Josh

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Dark Legend Magress
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Currently Playing:
    Final Fantasy XIV
    This is not going to happen. All it's going to do is promote discussion on banned members, which to be honest has nothing to do with anyone but the member who was banned and the member of staff that banned them.

It's people constantly sharing their opinions that has caused this problem in the first place. Like I have said a thousand times, people just don't get banned for no reason - anyone who acts within the rules on here will know that and knowing that should trust the judgement of our staff.

Priya likes this.
  8. DanT

DanT

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Tridon, Hadaron, Bestie, Ciara
    Level:
    My view as someone relatively new to the community is that a lot of this is extremely overdramatized, perhaps even by both parties, I wouldn't know. I don't know the people who got banned so I'm not going to speak in specific terms, but generally speaking when humans are punished for something, both punished and punisher slightly twist the story in their favor when retelling the story. That's an absolutely natural human reaction. More often than not, truth lies somewhere in between (whether in the true neutral middle or closer to one of the sides varies), which is what I expect happened in this case.

I don't mean this as criticism of anyone. It's just a sociological observation (after all, forums are self-contained microsocieties).

hamza62 and Beyond Z like this.
  9. Beyond Z

Beyond Z Almighty

Friend ID:
    xxxx40xxxx
    Leader:
    Stya
    Level:
    300+
    Hunter Rank:
    Currently Playing:
    Dark Souls 3
    Man, the effects of this situation are really noticeable.:eek:
    From a regular members perspective it seems weird. Unaware that some are raising to a boiling point they get disposed of.:confused: All sorts of questioning and mentioning get removed, leaving others with questions unanswered and unable to move on.
    Now a chunk of the community is disposed of, leaving chunks, who were more closely affiliated with that part, to rot. Because how can we hold up discussions when there is noone to talk to?
    It saddens me that we reached the boiling point. I felt a good spiritful foundation here, now it has crumbled.
    It saddens me even more, the time zone, when I'm most active (around 00.00 server time) is now a complete wasteland, devoid of life.(n)

Edit: Now every time I come to these forums, see it so devoid of life, I recreate this scene for my own amusement:
    [​IMG]
    Yaknow the lines.;):lol:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    Weaponize likes this.
  10. Tygsgg

Tygsgg North Star

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Avani
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Do you mean "fiasco"? I have to google 'fascia', you know. Anyway, I was away for some time. Back then, we talked about getting banned from the game, not from the forums. That would really suck for many guys here, because based on a thread before, a lot of us only keeps going on with this game because we got this forums.

Beyond Z likes this.
  11. MrJiff

MrJiff Eukleia

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Tridon
    Level:
    300+
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 4
    Currently Playing:
    Final Fantasy Brave Exvius - 743,165,673
    Well, you guys run the show. Its your forum and your rules. Everyone has to respect that and most do. I have a lot of fun on these forums and generally, have not had any run-ins with mods or admins outside of normal interactions. At the end of the day this is a forum for a mobile game and most people just come here to get info regarding the game.

The iron-fist approach to leadership has its drawbacks and people asking questions is one of them. Having respect for a banned member not to share their mishaps with the community, while admirable (due to the fact they can not defend themselves) , does make the community jump especially when it's members who are more frequent. That's why i suggested making their offenses public so people not only know what not to do, but to prevent any questions regarding such bans. You could post a topic and close the thread as well, stating that "any and all posts/threads regarding our decision will be closed and we request that you respect the decision we have made as administrators of the forums".

I'm personally all-for banning people who disregard the forum rules and generally bring down the moral of the community and think you guys do a good job at that. I just wish I knew why some of the people I have come to know are no longer with us as this is the only form of communication most of us have with each other. While I do honestly believe that you guys ban for legitimate reasons, expecting a community to just accept it and act like these people never existed is pretty unrealistic.

Then again, its you guy's rodeo :p I'm just along for the ride. Long Live BFF

IAMDA, Tygsgg and Beyond Z like this.
  12. Beyond Z

Beyond Z Almighty

Friend ID:
    xxxx40xxxx
    Leader:
    Stya
    Level:
    300+
    Hunter Rank:
    Currently Playing:
    Dark Souls 3
    Whoops, sorry. I'm a lil bad at English...I wonder if it counts as breaking the first rule?:confused:

Yeah, you were away during the truly dark times last winter (lol, John Snow not here during winter:rofl:)
    Things went really really bad and the forums became a mess. Too much for mods to handle. Also Ele has mentioned on how subjective rules can be. And the thing it did was build a false scene of security here. What seemed "normal" and "passable" was actually just raising to a boiling point, it seems.

Now I've noticed the staff here being a lil more active and strict as of late and it really throws oneself off balance.:confused:
    I guess they just wanna break it all down and start anew.

You should try to mingle with the newer members. Encourage them to become more active. I think I've read staff mentioning a lot of complaints coming from derailment and spoilers so I guess the new generation just isn't as forgivable or enduring to the stuff as we were. Back in my day, when a thread got derailed, we went on for pages! The OP changed the title even. We even managed to steer back on topic in some cases! We gave it a chance and it came through! Now its just off with the head or the derail train and threads do not make it far.:p
    An old-timer like me just isn't used to the regulations as of late, dunno if I can survive.:confused:

Tygsgg likes this.
  13. Josh

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Dark Legend Magress
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Currently Playing:
    Final Fantasy XIV
    The reason that you don't know why members are getting banned is because we clean up after ourselves. Abusive and negative posts should be removed otherwise it defeats the object of banning the member in the first place.

There are plenty of active members outside the minority that have been banned.
    Of course that's not rule breaking, you're making the effort. What we don't want is people posting in languages that the majority don't understand.

You mention the "dark times", but I think you are a good example of this. At one point you were pushing it a bit, you spoke to many of the mods including myself and have done a good job of cooling down on the negativity and abuse of certain members. I commend you for that and hope that other members do the same after being spoken to.

14. Priya

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Classified
    Leader:
    Nyami/Juno/Ensa
    Level:
    500~
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Overwatch
    The things is that we're not indiscriminately banning people. People have been banned only after multiple warnings, and so there's plenty of time to adjust one's actions. If someone chooses not to do so, it's on them. If you have an issue or have received a warning, go ahead and message the staff in order to speak with them directly to talk about your warnings. I was warned back in the day, well before becoming a mod by Elly for being argumentative. I talked to her about, saw what I was doing wrong and addressed it. That's as simple as it needs to be.

15. Khaotil

Khaotil EU Guardian Moderator

Server:
    European
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Heinrich 7* - Herald of Yggdrasil
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 1
    Banned for bad english! And for bad sense of humor too!
    (god, I love my job :D )

16. Tygsgg

Tygsgg North Star

Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Avani
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Hey, your english is much better than mine (I almost spell that 'your' as "you're" ). Sounds like this new generation are a pain in the ass.

17. DK_

DK_ Thanatos

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Zeru, Ensa, Juno
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    What about Hiro tho, he got permabanned after he posted that thread yesterday? Did he get prior warnings before? Granted he said he wasn't coming back, but one can always change their minds no?

kainoa25 likes this.
  18. Priya

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Classified
    Leader:
    Nyami/Juno/Ensa
    Level:
    500~
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Overwatch
    Actually, he just got warnings for his offenses, but then tried to ban bypass and so got IP banned.
    Mind you, it was also his intent given the whole LINE group.

Like you all scream "Free XYZ member" but choose not to see the months of warnings, and negativity and in some cases racist and homophobic comments and instead brush past that due to personal sentiment, and we really can't do the same. This is nothing new on the internet. People develop this idea that they aren't accountable for their actions, which simply isn't true.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  19. Josh

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Dark Legend Magress
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Currently Playing:
    Final Fantasy XIV
    This is exactly what I mean, it's the stuff that you don't see that gets these people banned.

Priya likes this.
  20. DK_

DK_ Thanatos

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Zeru, Ensa, Juno
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Then perhaps more transparency would help. As well as an highlight of what that exactly that person did as a violation of the TOS. Because on the other side of the fence it might also look as people of authority just covering themselves for banning people for actions that may not be bannable. I'm not accusing anyone of this, but I'm just telling you another perception.

Edit: May I also know what constitutes as bypassing a ban?

kainoa25 likes this.