1. You are currently viewing the fan creations forum. This is for fan creations ONLY, Brave Frontier discussion belongs in the General Discussion forum.

The dead thread :p

Discussion in 'Fan Creations' started by Aexus, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Aexus

Aexus General

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Felneus /Deemo (A) bb10/ Zelnite (A) / Leorone / Ice Fortess Oulu---> (Apon Request ONLY)
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Due to popular demand this post had been deleted ;)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  2. Lecan

Lecan Dragoon

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Grahdens/Felneus
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    If you do install this rom make sure to install the one for your phone provider, if you don't have Verizon, dont blindly follow these steps.

3. Aexus

Aexus General

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Felneus /Deemo (A) bb10/ Zelnite (A) / Leorone / Ice Fortess Oulu---> (Apon Request ONLY)
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Bro I wrote those steps. That's coming from experience lol I didn't find that online I pioneered the solution

4. Lecan

Lecan Dragoon

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Grahdens/Felneus
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    That rom is for Verizon lgg2s
    I personally don't know much about ROMs and if any conflicting problems may arise with using a rom used for another provider, but better safe then sorry.

5. Aexus

Aexus General

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Yeah I was talking to the OP when I said I found the fix for the lg g2 lol he's the one with the g2

6. Lecan

Lecan Dragoon

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Grahdens/Felneus
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    You have to realize that he might not be tech savvy at all and accidentally brick himself, assume everyones a dipshit on the internet.
    You'd be suprised at how stupid some people are.

7. Aexus

Aexus General

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    This is true. But thats why I said I assumed no responsibility if they brick their phone.. But if I could help someone by putting up that info then I'm happy about it :)

8. Lecan

Lecan Dragoon

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Grahdens/Felneus
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    At least make it very clear that this could fuck up the phone 100%
    Anyways, if they haven't rooted yet, shouldn't they be getting this update anyways?

9. Aexus

Aexus General

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    I doubt it the 4.4.4 base is from the LG G3 and cm11 modified it to work on g2 including some other tweaks. So I doubt it but I hope so!
    Well would you like me to put at the top of my original post:!!!! this can fuck up your phone!!!! ? Lol

10. Lecan

Lecan Dragoon

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Grahdens/Felneus
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Bold, max font, red
    Don't underestimate stupidity and ignorance.

11. Aexus

Aexus General

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    I'll change the text size and color when I get to as computer

12. Aexus

Aexus General

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Its easy to forget I tell you.

13. James Halsey

James Halsey Champion

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Drake Angel Aisha
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    A moderator needs to close his thread down and removing ASAP or the OP needs to edit the first post. As a XDA developer there is so much wrong here I don't know where to begin. First off I admire your devotion to help out and not calling you out but as is I see a lot of soft bricked devices from people trying this. Let me try to sort things out and break things down here in more detail.

In step one you say to downloads Towelroot to automate rooting your device, Nothing inherently wrong here but...

1. Rooting will usually void your warranty but odd not difficult to unroot if you need to send the phone back.

2. Towelroot (towelroot.com - shout out to geohot for the exploit) will only root devices with certain Snapdragon CPUs... which covers most flagship devices from the end of last year and this year, but will not work on all devices (SHIELD is one example as it used a Tegra processor, and I think another example is the original Moto X) hut should work on most devices with a Snapdragon 800 and 801... in unsure about 805s though.

In step two you say to flash a custom recovery. Many soft bricked devices will result from people attempting this just from following the instructions here.

First off, your device must have a bootloader that's unlocked, unlockable (Nexus devices for example), or a bootloader bypass workaround (Loki exploit for LG G2 devices for example). Every device will have it's own method of doing this IF it can and the best way to accomplish this is to search XDA forums for your device and find the usual stickied thread on custom recoveries.

For the G2 running KitKat as an example, before flashing TWRP you must downgrade the bootloader which means messing with a very important OS partition and can easily screw your phone up if say, you attempted this on a Galaxy 5 by using the AutoRec app.

There is no apk that will simply flash a recovery without the bootloader being unlocked or bypassed first. The best case scenario is you'll use an app and it'll fail once it realizes the bootloader is locked. Worst case is you'll end up flashing something to a partition as in my G2 example that will make your device a brick.

That's a VERY important step that's left out and device dependent. By the way, when you unlock your bootloader your data partition will be wiped... security precaution. This doesn't apply to bootloader bypassing though as with the G2.

The steps for backing up your current ROM and flashing a custom one are fine except the method of booting into recovery is different for each device, and the glaring fact that ROMs are built for certain devices and say flashing a G2 ROM on a Nexus 5 won't be nice (that's why we make the backups first ;))

I'm going to stop here and advise anyone wanting to flash custom ROMs and kernels to search the XDA forums for their device and read through the stickied threads that will usually contain I dated instructions specific for your device.

And by the way, why do you think flashing a custom ROM solves this issue? I'm on a custom ROM and kernel and still have this issue. My guess is that the kernel on that ROM disabled thermal throttling or has some other obscure change to it that fixed the issue for you. I'm running a G3 ROM on my G2 (ported ROM.... CloudyG3).... usually don't care for ported ROMs but this one is tight.

Again in not knocking you for sharing, just that your directions are specific to one device which isn't pointed out until later and also important steps are omitted and I think it's be best if this thread disappeared lol... Just edit your OP and post a link to XDA forums and tell the readers to go search their device there. By the way... I'm MidnightHarvester on XDA... a G2 developer there.

14. Aexus

Aexus General

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Lol you've made some good points I'll delete it.

PS. I tried cloudy g3
    Only the cm11 based roms
    worked so IDK what the deal is.
    Tried dirty unicorns ,> phone dialer didn't work.
    Tried reflashing phone to stock to fresh install dirty unicorns.done. > phone dialer didn't work >:| lol
    Spirit is the only one I've tried that works perfect with brave frontier. I can put together a list when I get to work of the ones I tried if your interested. Maybe you can isolate the cause and just write up a patch for the g2 - g3 players.

If you do that sir I'll donate to you 50 bucks.

P.s.s yes their is an app that installs twrp to my devices recovery but its only for the lg g2 vs980

Will delete thread when I get to work xP... Done thread now named dead thread with zero content :)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  15. James Halsey

James Halsey Champion

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Drake Angel Aisha
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Yeah there are apps that will flash ClockworkMod or TWRP (Flashify is a good one) but if the bootloader isn't unlocked it bypassed nothing with happen... I just use ConnectBot which is a great terminal app and use the "dd" command to copy whatever recovery I'm using to the recovery partition, but have used Flashify in the past.

Technically I guess you're right though as far as the G2 is concerned because after using towelroot or ioroot to root all you need to do is run the Auto ref app which automates downgrading the bootloader and then flashes TWRP, but that's because we're just bypassing the bootloader. Gotta love loki. Heads up to anyone not on a G2...don't touch that AutoRec app I referred to.

I have an idea (well two) why that ROM is working when the others aren't. I'll download it when I get the time today and try a few things out... I might be able to pinpoint it and make a flashable zip for us G2 users (possibly other devices depending on the issue but if it's what I suspect the fix will apply only to the G2 but anyone with a different device can attempt the mod... I just don't own any others.

Don't close the thread yet, let's leave it open while investigating. I'm gonna be busy until the evening though but after 5 or close to it ill get to it. Seriously $50 Christ to fix this little bit annoying glitch? Lol I wish more people over on XDA were as kind :) But this one's on the house.

16. Aexus

Aexus General

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    OK. Sounds like a plan. If you can fix this problem though, seriously, bravo I may donate the money anyways and try to get others to do the same. Lol
    Looking forward to the zip let me know what you find out :)

On a side note the only function I lost from flashing to spirit was the record function in brave frontier. It now says device not supported.

17. James Halsey

James Halsey Champion

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Drake Angel Aisha
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    I've been trying to crash the game and here's what I got so far.

1. With all animations off and drop count limited to something like 25 or so I can't crash the game.

2. With animations on and drop count limit maxed out I could reliably crash the game but the logcats aren't that helpful....

Except I did find one listing that is interesting and seems to coincide with tht fact time the game crashed. On that ROM you're using that doesn't crash, use Root Explorer or some file manager app (or a terminal if you prefer that) a see if the file /sys/class/graphics/fb0/vfps_boost exists. If it does I know where the problem lies.

The /sys directory is a virtual file system that's read writeable BUT you can't create non existing files or directories there, only modify existing files. The /sys file system is created by the kernel and is where all the kernel settings are. On the kernel I'm using and the stock LG one that file doesn't exist meaning it's not a feature built into the kernel. The ROM you're using might contain a custom kernel ROM that DOES support this though.

I noticed in the logs that something was searching for this file at the time of the crash and once it didn't find or threw an unhandled null pointer exception. I'm thinking the game is looking for this file when all the details are enabled so it can try to boost the frames per second and keep the game smooth.

But before I go too much into it, just search and see if you have that file on a ROM that isn't causing the game to crash and lemme know. There isn't much else in the logs that really helps out at all (least with my eyes).

18. Aexus

Aexus General

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    There isn't any other sub folder correct?
    I don't think it's there. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

This problem is a sneaky little B Isnt she lol

19. Aexus

Aexus General

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    There is an additional sub system folder hence the 4 pictures.
    Test with all graphics off using deemo as your leader for s couple rounds as well. She made my stock 4.4.2 crash with no animations or item drops.

20. James Halsey

James Halsey Champion

Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Leader:
    Drake Angel Aisha
    Level:
    Hunter Rank:
    Well damn there goes my main theory. Nope if you had the file it'd be listed there. Well at least I know if animations are turned off and drop limit is set to 25 or so it won't crash (well I couldn't get it to at least). I guess I'll go through the verbose version of the logs and look for more subtle clues.