Unit of choice?

Discussion in 'Units & Squads' started by TXRanger, Sep 8, 2017.

  1. TXRanger

    TXRanger Sage

    Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Loremaster Allanon
    Level:
    143
    Messages:
    4
    So I was intending to get Shion (like every other player) with the unit of choice from this login campaign but I recently came across "Freed" who I saw had very similar abilities to Shion. Obviously, he is not as good but I'm just wondering if I should go through with it and get Shion, OR should I keep freed as my non-crit tri-stat buffer for raid and choose someone else? Here's my roster, so if you notice anything I'm missing or a unit I should really get my hands on given my circumstances, even if it's not related to the whole Shion vs. freed thing, it would be much appreciated.
    It is worth noting that I do have Lancelot's signiature sphere and therefore his ailment purge in case you wanted to put together a squad with whichever unit of choice you recommend. I'm in the market for a raid squad and a GGC/Trial squad, not required though. Thanks.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Brimstone Emperor

    Brimstone Emperor Perses

    Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    7896979416
    Leader:
    Insert meta unit I wish I had here
    Level:
    999 We did it bois
    Hunter Rank:
    50
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    ME: SoM, Magikarp Jump!, Skyrim (again, still)
    Messages:
    339
    Like you mentioned above, Sean does provide tri buff (Freed doesn't) and Elements (also something Freed doesn't do), but Freed carries a one-turn Ele/crit/ADR down negation, which is pretty useful. You already have Gabby (has it on BB, can be SP'd for two-turn), and Holia (on SBB). Lancie does do crit null, but I like having a unit that can do both. I used to run both Sean and Freed in my god squad for some OD fun, and it worked quite nicely. You could pick up a Sean (he can be used for cheese), but I'm seeing that you a lack a dmg taken conditional mit lead (Lancie doesn't count). Cleria is still a great option for this (Phil is good too). I'm doing something right now (sleeping lol), but I can help you with squad comp tomorrow, If someone (lookin at you Acyl :p) hasn't done so already. Hope this helps!
     
  3. Acyl

    Acyl

    Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    Just ask.
    Leader:
    Regil, Shion
    Messages:
    9,084
    @TXRanger has Mariela, which is functionally similar as a squad lead to Cleria and Phileine. Older and hence not quite as good, but does the job. Because of that I'd say go ahead and get Shion.

    Freed isn't that good. He's not bad, and in the right setup he can do some work, but he's not super amazing. In practical terms it's actually slightly hard to justify using Freed.

    Freed's unlikely to be a leader, first of all. The LS gets a lot of stats in conjunction with his ES, but in a meta where we prefer mitigation/dmg resistance LS, his mitigation on LS is the crap type we don't want, since it can't reliably activate (20% chance of working, 80% chance of doing jack shit). And we also run into the issue where Lukroar is a thing, which is straight up better than Freed's LS.

    Even if you don't have a Lukroar, well, Lukroar friend, right? You could stack Freed LS with Lukroar LS, but at that point you'll probably be better served with the Lukroar friend and a mitigation lead of your own that doesn't suck (i.e. Lancelot or Mariela probably, 'cause Mariela is a thing as noted above).

    So that leaves Freed as a squad member that isn't in the lead slot. But does Freed rate a squad slot?

    The OD fill rate boost (separate from the direct OD fill) doesn't actually help much in a long fight where you are using UBBs a lot, since it doesn't scale as OD fill costs increase.

    The other thing Freed does is crit/ele/debuff null - which is actually pretty valuable. But, issue is, don't necessarily need that from Freed, since Lancelot, Gabriela, Holia, Mariela would have various parts of it covered across slots. And some combination of Lancelot/Gabriela/Holia/Mariela are likely to be in any optimised squad setup based on this unit roster.

    What else can Freed do? With SP? But we don't need him for ailment removal because Lancelot, we don't need him to heal, because, again, Gabriela, Holia, Mariela.

    So what the hell does Freed do? Effectively all Freed has that's of value is as non-lead squad member is 10% extra stats and his direct percentage OD fill... maybe SP him for BC efficacy if you aren't already getting that elsewhere, but I wouldn't consider BC efficacy to be super important these days.

    I'm honestly not sure that's worthwhile. That...isn't really a lot, might as well bring something else in the squad slot.
     
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  4. Yukius

    Yukius Barrager

    Server:
    Global
    Friend ID:
    1374659
    Leader:
    [Unit=8196]
    Level:
    225~
    Hunter Rank:
    40
    Raid Class:
    RC 6
    Currently Playing:
    Brave Frontier, XBONE, League of Legends
    Messages:
    373
    what most players want to go for are 1 of the trio. Regil/Cleria/Shion, these 3 units in a squad can cover almost everything your squad needs.
    if you want to look into them be sure to read their abilities throughly i including their sp skills. and decide which of the 3 would be suitable to UoC(assuming you dont have 1 of the 3)

    i already got Cleria and Shion so im grabing regil.

    but imo really you should chose Shion. that way you can level grind quicker(asuming you dont have zeruiah and are relatively low level) but even then.

    if not shion 1 of the other 2. if you have those 2 then shion to complete the trio.
     
  5. TXRanger

    TXRanger Sage

    Server:
    Global
    Leader:
    Loremaster Allanon
    Level:
    143
    Messages:
    4


    Thanks for the advice everyone.
     

Share This Page